SM's Episode III Critical Analysis

My point is that in the LOTR books, the events in the movies are often 'out of place' because Jackson has decided for whatever reason to do certain events which were in one to do that in another movie.

As for your point about the cartoon, no argument here on that. However, I am not Lucas and thats what he decided to do.

We can debate the tactics and strategy used in the Battle of Coruscant for forever. I can see your point about just sending Grievous on a mission but one has to remember that a lot of this is for show. Remember Sidious again is the one pulling the strings and most of the Clone Wars is nothing but a huge dramatic show, a show whose only purpose incidentally enough is the eradication of the Jedi. Thats the only objective that the clone wars serves for Sidious. As a side thing, it allows Sidious to get even more political power.

Keep in mind I am not 'arguing' with you, just trying to explain why it was done a certain way thats all. Lucas is the storyteller not me. Personally I think that Lucas went off the deep end a while ago and is not a good storyteller so much anymore. But thats my opinion.

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Actually Jackson did do the events in the films in the right order. If you've read anything on how the books were written you realize that events in the Two Towers like Frodo's capture are taking place in tandem with the assault on Minas Tirith. In the books the narrator follows each plot in such a way that other events are going on that you can't see at that moment but he reveals whats going on elsewhere at the same time in another book. The way Jackson did it is the only way it could have been filmed (With the exception of cutting out the pillaging of the shire.)

Jackson presents the events in the order in which they occured by a timeline in which Tolkien laid down each to occur. He did it right.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Actually Jackson did do the events in the films in the right order. If you've read anything on how the books were written you realize that events in the Two Towers like Frodo's capture are taking place in tandem with the assault on Minas Tirith. In the books the narrator follows each plot in such a way that other events are going on that you can't see at that moment but he reveals whats going on elsewhere at the same time in another book. The way Jackson did it is the only way it could have been filmed (With the exception of cutting out the pillaging of the shire.)

Jackson presents the events in the order in which they occured by a timeline in which Tolkien laid down each to occur. He did it right.

So your telling me Frodo went with Boromir's brother, Faramir to Osgiliath and he let them go? When I read the books I dont remember that part. I remember Faramir letting them go when he caught them and so on..but he didnt make them go to Osgiliath with him.

Thats one of the examples I was referring to.

Also if you dont believe me about some more inconsistencies check out this link. http://www.jackflannel.org/lotr/

Okay, here goes....Episode I wasn't very good, Episode II marginally better, Episode III better still but not that good.

I thought the chemistry between Padme and Anankin was non-existant. Even the chemistry between Kenobi and Anakin was pretty poor.

General Grevious was annoying, personally if I was that messed up and only had a few organic bits, I think I'd rather die!!! A pretty boring character and his constant hacking made me feel a bit sick.

Christopher Lee never had enough screen time (I understand why) which is a shame but his look of betrayal was priceless :)

Palpatine was fantastic, he was the star of the show. Classic manipulation to a very naive Anakin. Although his cackling got on my nerves a bit.

The sabre fights were all well and good but none can really outshine the fight in Episode I with Darth Maul. That was so good that all other's seem a bit dull in comparison.

That lizard that Obi-Wan was riding needed shooting immediately. The noise it made was to me like nails on a blackboard.

The extermination of the Jedi was good and Anakin killing the Younglings was nice and sinister.

The fight between Yoda and Palpy was a bit boring to me. Throwing things around using the force is always a bit dull. I'm suprised that Yoda didn't see the lightning that Palpy threw the first time when Yoda entered his Office. Even I knew that was coming!

The fight between Kenobi and Anakin was reasonable and the hacking of his legs and arm was a bit gruesome. Catching fire wasn't particularly pleasant either. I enjoyed the fight though.

What bothered me the most though is that in ROTJ, Luke asks Leia what her mother was like and she says she can only remember a little she elaborates a bit more than that). If Padme died giving birth, then how is this possible?

Don't know. i found it out on a documentary here. Apparently Spielberg called Lucas to tell him he was bored and he ended up making up a SW fight.

It often happens that Lucas, Spielberg and Coppola work on each others films.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

I think a reasonable explanation of what Leia remembers are feelings conveyed through the force. Perhaps, she has more empathy with her than Luke does and thusly feels images and emotions. "Images mostly...she was very sad." She doesn't specify memories per se, so it fits

About Yoda not intercepting Palpatine's lightning: Maybe he just wasn't ready for it. Alot of people understate Palpatine's power in the dark side and it could have just caught Yoda by suprise

The creature Obi-Wan rides (I don't know the name, I don't own the visual dictionary yet) does make an interesting noise, but I felt it fit rather perfectly. It'd be cliche to give it some cool roar or make it yell like a Tyrannosaurus. It was given a nice 'yelp' that's almost reptillian and avian all at once. It's Lucas (and maybe Bret Burtt) giving the Star Wars a natural sounding feel

about the Battle of Coruscant: It's importance is two-fold to Palpatine. It gives the Senate a credible "slap in the face", so to speak, about the war to drive the nail on more Emergency Powers for the good chancellor. Also, as my sig points out, it allows Anakin to further his destiny at the Emperor's side

I thought the movie was well done, and I love it more each time I see it

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It gives you strength." - Nothing happens to Palpatine without him wanting it to...except getting thrown down that shaft ofcourse. Let's hear it for the Empire.

Interesting to hear everyone putting in their opinions..

IMAGINE:

Despite myself, I enjoyed the ROTSith movie. It gave me goose bumps.

and imagine this...: Ur a kid in the future who doesn't know sh#t about Star Wars. U discover the films and watch them in the correct order. I think u'd have to cry by the time Darth throws the Emperor down the laundry chute.

GRIPES:

Christensen can't act. This is a fairly major problem. Reminds me of Coppola in Godfather 3 using his niece. What a stain on the series. Lucas's biggest mistake.

Becoming Vader

The bit where he lunges off the operating table is laughable. When he screamed "NOOOO" i felt like screaming it to..

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM:

The "turning" of Anakin is not convincing.

The whole death during childbirth thing is laid out there without compassion. The audience doesnt care. When Mace Windu dies the audience DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHY. It's as if Lucas expects every1 to have read the books and lived the folklore forever..

Still, it does still give me goosebumps. Thanks George.

GRIPES:

Christensen can't act. This is a fairly major problem. Reminds me of Coppola in Godfather 3 using his niece. What a stain on the series. Lucas's biggest mistake.

He can, he just needed someone other than GL to develope a script. Poor guy. Mark Hamaled?

Becoming Vader

The bit where he lunges off the operating table is laughable. When he screamed "NOOOO" i felt like screaming it to..

Rubbish! Best bit of the movie. The entire point of his seduction to the dark side has now been laid open to his inner-question... it can only be an 'AGHAAA' response from his point of view if you think about it....

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM:

The "turning" of Anakin is not convincing.

The whole death during childbirth thing is laid out there without compassion. The audience doesnt care. When Mace Windu dies the audience DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHY. It's as if Lucas expects every1 to have read the books and lived the folklore forever..

I think we have three movies which now explain something most of us didn't initially expect, that it was all about Vader/Anakin; in the eighties I could have sworn it was all about young Luke... but never mind....

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I want to point out something here.

When I saw the movie some people laughed when Vader got off the table and was all jerky.

Keep in mind, we just saw him get 2 new mechanical legs and arms ok. He hadnt walked after Obi Wan cut his legs off. Of course when he first got up he is going to be all jerky, those are new limbs that were grafted onto him.

Sometimes I wonder why people have gripes about certain things even though the reasons are perfectly logical for the action of something that ends up getting them mad. 8O

The people who laught at things like Vader's trouble walking or the "NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" are somewhat immature. I sat through Enemy at the Gates and had to listen to someone laugh every time a person got shot. :evil:

I've now watched the movie about four times (I'm watching it as I type), and my view of it has changed in a way that of Episodes I and II hasn't. Each time I watch RotS it feels more and more right. Forgetting what we wanted to see and simply taking in the movie as it is, it has a very close feel to the original trilogy. Sure there are more and flashier special effects, but the atmosphere is about the same. I really think that, unlike Episode I and II, RotS will become a fan favorite, and maybe move close to the level of esteem of Episodes IV-VI.

I think I've also arrived at a conclusion as to why the prequals don't feel like the same type of movie as ANH, ESB and RotJ. In the prequals very little of the action takes place on a planet, and what does is counter-balanced by space. Throughout the OT we jump between Rebels fighting for survival and Imperials walking around on their cold, harsh metalic ships with bright lighting and dark floors and walls. In the Prequals we have bright planets and an array of colours. Did any one else feel a wave of nostalga when Bale is first shown on the Tantive IV? Then there is the fact that in the OT the Jedi were not really at the fore front of the story. We knew of the Force, we watch lightsabers, but it wasn't really the focus of what we were watching.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

(I'm watching it as I type).

Good grief! Is it out on DVD* already, or are you actually in a cinema with a laptop? :?

*Might be Chinese and slightly dodgy...

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Guest JediIgor

Good grief! Is it out on DVD* already, or are you actually in a cinema with a laptop? :?

Or it might be on BitTorrent!

Or it might be on BitTorrent!

Careful...the KGB..err FBI might hear you.

It was on BitTorrent (or BitCommet to be more precise). The problem is it's meant to be widescreen but plays in full screen (so it's all squished unless you resize the window or have a widescreen TV (thankfully I can do both), and there is a time stamp at the top). I don't advocate pirating, and if you want to see this film in all it's glory I suggest you go the cinemas, but I'm not going to pay $11.50 every time I want to watch the movie.

I should also note that most torrent sites have blocked any searches for Revenge of the Sith at LucasFilm's request. As such I'm going to delete the file from my computer. At least I got to watch it a few times. :D

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

*sigh* piracy sucks

I admit, the first time I saw it one of of my coworkers had it ripped to a DVD and we watched it on a laptop. I didn't feel so bad though since I already had advanced tickets for a showing that same evening (opening day!) in my wallet, but I was amazed how little respect it got from every passer-by who wanted a copy rather than tickets to see it in theatre

ohwell

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It gives you strength." - Nothing happens to Palpatine without him wanting it to...except getting thrown down that shaft ofcourse. Let's hear it for the Empire.