Palpatine's Appearance

Which Explaination do you Prefer?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Explaination do you Prefer?

• The Dark Side Consumption was Cooler!
    • The New One Makes More Sense in Retrospect.

So, which explaination do you prefer? The "original" EU explaination that he was slowly being consumed by the Dark Side, and that that is the inevitable appearance for a Dark Jedi, or the one (which in the end is the truth) that his face is actually the result of scaring from Froce Lightning (taken from the Episode III visual dictionary)?

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EU explanation keeps with the original Star Wars mystique - that someone so powerful in the dark side of the force actually gets deformed from there own power.

Being scared by force lightning is a pretty poor excuse, though I havn't read up on Episode III yet (and nor will I before the movie) so the way he gets scared mightn't be too bad.

Still, I like the Dark Side idea more

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Guest JediIgor
Please Lucas, read your own books. Really. Not only does Palpy get consumed by the dark side but he's been switching physical bodies (clone bodies) for years now.. if he got scarred by lightning a quick body switch and he'd be just fine again.

Please Lucas, read your own books. Really. Not only does Palpy get consumed by the dark side but he's been switching physical bodies (clone bodies) for years now.. if he got scarred by lightning a quick body switch and he'd be just fine again.

Unfortunately he introduced the midichlorian thing to us. With this midichlorian nonsense it doesnt make sense for Palpatine to be switching clone bodies. Why? Because that means Palpatine can now somehow clone midichlorians. If thats true, then it doesnt make sense for Darth Vader to be in his suit. Why not clone replacement limbs and attach them to him again? This IS SW here..they mastered the not-so trivial problem of faster than light propulsion. I am sure they could clone replacement limbs for Anakin. As it is, the only explanation for why they cant is that they cant clone midichlorians or something so it doesnt matter if Anakin were to get his limbs and so on cloned and re-attached. Anyway, Lucas has once again pissed on the continuity and now made it seem that Palpatine was only affected by this force lightning. *shakes head*. Oh well.

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Guest JediIgor

Unfortunately he introduced the midichlorian thing to us. With this midichlorian nonsense it doesnt make sense for Palpatine to be switching clone bodies. Why? Because that means Palpatine can now somehow clone midichlorians. If thats true, then it doesnt make sense for Darth Vader to be in his suit. Why not clone replacement limbs and attach them to him again? This IS SW here..they mastered the not-so trivial problem of faster than light propulsion. I am sure they could clone replacement limbs for Anakin. As it is, the only explanation for why they cant is that they cant clone midichlorians or something so it doesnt matter if Anakin were to get his limbs and so on cloned and re-attached. Anyway, Lucas has once again pissed on the continuity and now made it seem that Palpatine was only affected by this force lightning. *shakes head*. Oh well.

Lucas is full of crap there too. The Force is in all of us, I mean the book Unifying Force is pretty much the best explanation of that. Even in the Vong. Only the frequencies matter.

As for as the midichlorians, this is what I'm thinking:

It's kind of like one of those virus tests -- if you have midichlorians, then you have a 100% of being force-sensitive. But if you don't then let's say you have a 0.00001% of being force sensitive.

It would also explain how they had one of those "force detectors" that Lando used in one of the books :). Long range midichlorian scanners.

By the way, I think they can clone midichlorians, isn't that what they essentially did in the plot of Jedi Knight II?

Yeah the midichloreans could probably be cloned, thus the force sensitivity in the dark troopers.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Did you know the Rebellion explanation for the Darktroopers is wrong.

The original idea of the Darktrooper is a very advanced Combat droid. For more reference, play the classic "Dark Forces" for PC and PS1.

If you want to learn more, by all means, let me know. After all...

I'm a Darktrooper. :arrow::wink:

"May the force be with the pizza guy. I want it in less that 30 mins or less."

You can kill me later, thank you.

I want you to join KoC.

Well, I should point out that most of the arguments for the old Dark Side explaination rely on the EU for support, and portions of the EU that are more disputed than most others. The Emperor cloning himself a new body is, to me, a rediculous idea, the result of the Dark Empire series. If he's being consumed, what about all of the other Sith Lords like Exar Kun and others. I'm pretty sure they were more evil than even the Emperor...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Well, I should point out that most of the arguments for the old Dark Side explaination rely on the EU for support, and portions of the EU that are more disputed than most others. The Emperor cloning himself a new body is, to me, a rediculous idea, the result of the Dark Empire series. If he's being consumed, what about all of the other Sith Lords like Exar Kun and others. I'm pretty sure they were more evil than even the Emperor...

Well I have no problem with the 'consume' thing. Its just now the midichlorian nonsense makes it hard to justify the Emperor now supposedly cloning himself. Anyway I agree with much of what Igor said in response to my comments about the midichlorians etc.

I just wish Lucas would read some of the damn books and stuff and stop creating nonsense which pisses on the continuity.

First off, I don't like midicholorians. They have no reason to exist in a mystical force field. They are stupid

Second. Half the EU does not have a reason to exist, Palpatine Clones are stupid.

I did like the slowly being consumed aspect of the Dark Side more. If you think of Kun and other Dark Lord, neither of them was as old as palpatine. We don't know for how long Palpy has been a Darksider but I'd say he'd been dark for a very long time, he's all rotten within, and it would definitely had to start showing on the outside.

In Ep III we know that Palpy will have two showdowns, one with Mace and another with Yoda in the Senate. As he is already ugly when fighting yoda, we can assume he was scarred during the fight with Mace.

Could it be that before that fight with Mace he had nevevr (ab)used the DArk Side in such manner, drawing so heavily on it, that it finally started to rapidly consume and rot his body as it had already done it soul?

I'd be satisfied if in the movie is hinted that the scarring was due to the consumption of the Dark Side, and that it's not something as lame as: "Damn windu threwsome lightning back at me with his saber and now I need daily dosis of Botox. "

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

I prefer the "rotting scenario" too.. Besides, in KotOR 1 and 2, you could also see the evil Jedi slowly changing in appearance too. Their skin would get darker, and the eyes would get that angry look. The new SW movies depend too much on logic. I like the older ones with their magic/mystic feeling. The "midichlorian theory" REALLY sucked!

" The darkside? I've been there! Do your worst!.. " - Kyle Katarn

"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life-form?" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

http://img148.exs.cx/img148/6299/shuttle8xc.gif

Alas, in the end the Force Lightning scaring is what we see. I agree that the other option is cooler and more appealing, but I guess that's not what Lucas cares about...

I resent that man... Why does he feel the need to prove how powerful he is by going against everything written? Its terrible....
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

I resent that man... Why does he feel the need to prove how powerful he is by going against everything written? Its terrible....

It's all because Palpatine is George's Alter Ego. He can't stand the thought of being corrupted by his corporate opulance.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Heh, quite the good point there XD

Yeah...well I dont know. Lucas seems to always be changing things about Star Wars. Greedo shooting first anyone? And another thing that annoys me is that supposedly..SUPPOSEDLY most of the books written had his approval...then why the hell is he coming up with his own ideas which negate much of what was written already? I hate to say it but there are times I feel like I wasted my money buying Star Wars books if the SW universe wont even acknowledge that those books exist. Because for me, its like I didnt read a SW book, I read something else.

And yes midichlorians are bad. I prefer the Yoda explanation in ESB, which is the force is an energy field created by all living things and it surrounds us etc...now with the lame midichlorians thing its like those supposed microscopic things are what create the force...lame.

Lucas does is it because he has a need to feel powerful and in control of Star Wars, he's a piss poor director and an even worse story-teller. Carrie Fisher and the cast all say that he only ever said "More intensity, more drama!" so there ya go...

• SWR Staff - Executive

It's Lucas's editorial board that approves all the books. He himself sets specific guidelines (such as no writing about fall of Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader, etc) and he has approved some specific things (I believe the loss of Chewbacca in the beginning of Vector Prime).

Really its still owned by Lucas. Its his universe, he can change it however he wishes. He could have just allowed no one to expand it on it, then it'd be a pretty small universe. Sure there are various inconsistencies with all these sources, but it could be much worse. It's quite a job for the editorial board to keep things as consistant as possible - something I'd never want to manage myself.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I don't dissagree with anything that's been said so far, but I should point out that medichlorians aren't what create the Force, nor are they the Force, but they are what allow the Jedi to utilise the Force. They're sort of like RAM for Force users. The more you have, the better you can use the Force. It's still a dumb idea but...

Yeah, the more intensity part. I remember hearing about that when I saw the special disk thing for the Original Trilogy set I got on dvd.

Honestly, Lucas does have some good stories. Its just he doesnt do a very good job directing in my opinion. I mean look at the Originals. Most of them some other guy was helping Lucas to direct them. Wasnt it Kirshner who directed Empire Strikes Back? And that one is regarded as one of the best. The problem in my opinion is that too many people just shake their heads yes to Lucas and no one challenges him. He has too many 'yes men' who dont challenge him on ideas. Its true Lucas owns the universe and can do whatever he wants..but lets not play revisionist here and try to alter some of the key fundamentals of your universe..like Greedo shooting first and creating this midichlorian nonsense. It serves no purpose at all.

/Rant off

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read it was this:

Chancellor Palpatine's "appearance" is a ruse, a trick, a method to gain Anakin's trust and leadership in public.

Whenever he uses the darkside, at least more than just for lightsaber combat or mind tricks, he assumes his true form, and his disguise disappears, as it supposedly does during the battle with mace... It's not until after Anakin has intervened against mace that Palpatine reveals his true self and kills the Samuel L.

He retains his appearance because there is no need for cover anymore... He's already converted Anakin to the darkside, and is in charge of everything, and frankly anyone who doesn't like it can suck on a Force Bolt. He explains it after the battle with yoda by telling the gathered Senate that he was disfigured by his battle with the treacherous Jedi, and that the Jedi Insurrection has been put down.

In fact he is not disfigured in the battle with either Yoda or Mace: Mace is not strong enough, the only reason Palpy doesn't execute him on the spot is because of his pivotal role in converting Anakin. Neither Yoda nor Palpy is seriously injured during their battle, not that it isn't a close thing. But his assumed visage doesn't matter after Anakin converts.

Just my 2 cents