noob with some questions

Colonel_Olorin

Question

just a few questions to get me started out around here :lol:

ok i picked up a copy of SWR from ebay for 5 bucks and when it arrived it had no manual with it. is there anywhere i can get a digital copy of it to have a look at?

is it a good idea to have the droids take control of production for you ? whenever i try to micromanage i just seem to never get anything built

is it easier to get started with a small number of systems or a large number? cause starting with the enemy on ya doorsteps seems to be asking for trouble to me

that's all for now but give me a day or two and i'm sure to have more :lol:

thanks in advance

14 answers to this question

Well... it's not an easy game...

Browse through these forums. If you feel overwhelmed don't worry, just keep reading and you'll absorb some stuff by osmosis. Then go play the game and things will start to click into place (btw "Commerce Raiding" refers to using ships to blockade planets (and blast the hell out of unshielded planets), at which Corellian Corvettes are perfect).

http://www.swrebellion.com/postt2108.html

http://www.swrebellion.com/postt2089.html

http://www.swrebellion.com/postt2115.html

http://www.swrebellion.com/postt2107.html

http://www.swrebellion.com/postt1926.html

If you stick with it and become skilled at it, you'll download other people's Total Conversions (or make your own with RebEd) and have tons of fun playing the Imperials (or playing in two player games).

But for now, play the Rebels. The game is definitely easier to win as the Rebels.

Use the CTRL and SHIFT keys for multiple selections.

To understand the various types of missions available, study the encyclopedia entries for the various Special Forces units. The SpecForce units are basically either spies, or cannon fodder.

Always include a decoy for sabotage or abduction missions. Decoys should have high espionage ratings. An abduction or sabotage team should probably have two characters with two SpecForce units backing them up, along with one decoy character + decoy SpecForce unit.

Imperial officers are great at subduing uprisings and the goody-goody Rebels are great at diplomatizing every neutral world in sight.

As the Rebels, one of your top priorities early in the game should to develop a strategy to explore and colonize the Rim ASAP.

Every one of your sectors should have one world with scads of industry and a couple of troop training facilities, an optional backup industrialized world, and an optional world which is basically nothing but shipyards (and shields and defences of course). I always make my shipyard worlds places like Yaga Minor, Duro, Bilbringi, Corellia, Sluis Van... :wink:

You want to have a minimum of two shield generators at every single world. Without exception.

troops fight better when they're commanded by an experienced officer...

As the Rebels you will want to build Corellian Corvettes and Carriers, then Neb-Bs (which are munchkin ships), and then maybe a few Mon Cals when they become available. Interdictors (CC-7700s) are always nice to have too of course. Don't forget to fill all of your ships up with starfighters (mostly X-Wings). You can basically forget about all other classes of ship; and before you know it, the Imperial Remnant will be willing to sign any piece of paper you put in front of them.

Put an overpowered Solar Ionization Reactor in between two cheap-ass engines and a couple of laser cannon, put a chair with a rudimentary flight control and targeting computer on top, and surround the (unpressurized!) pilot with enough armor plate so he doesn't fry in a tenth of a second... riiiiiiiiight

i love hearing that a game will take months to et good at :D means i didn';t waste my money on another 5 minute game(you buy it play for 5 minutes and finish it)

playing as the rebels is easier? i've tried a few games starting as each and the only time i ever really got started and moving positively towards winning was with the empire. i find as the rebels i'm always on the defenseive no matter how many ship yards i build. plus the fact that until you get neb B's you can' really duke it out with the empire fleets and have to abandon planet after planet cause ya know he's just gunna flatten em or take em

Ok, when you start a game, become familiar with every one of your characters (right-click on character to get information). Find out who's strong at what and who can do ship research and facility research missions.

Have Mon Mothma do recruitment missions. Have all of your other diplomats diplomatize the neutral worlds. They'll never know what hit them.

The Millenium Falcon is the fastest hunk of junk in the Galaxy. If Han Solo is accompanied somewhere by characters only (no SpecForce units, no regiments) they will travel with him in the Falcon.

Use your spies to keep abreast of what the Empire is up to. Successfully completing espionage missions should increase the espionage ratings of those characters.

Control all production yourself. It's a pain and it's hard to get really good at it but by turn 300-400 you should have your supply bottleneck ironed out. Before turn 1000 you should have the Empire on the run.

You can find out how many mines and refineries are in operation AND under construction by right-clicking on your protocol droid.

Build army (and later, Sullustan) regiments! The regiments are the real key to controlling and defending worlds and winning the game!

Build Corellian Corvettes. Use single Corvettes to blockade Imperial worlds and to bombard unshielded and undefended worlds (but don't use General Bombardment. It's Evil). If a lone Corvette jumps into a system and there are Imperial forces there, retreat.

Build Carriers and X-Wings.

Build Medium Transports. Have your newly recruited regiments embark. Use two to eight (or more) transports to explore and colonize the Rim. You'll also need transports so that when you combine Corvettes, Carriers and X-Wings into Strike Fleets you'll be able to invade (and occupy if necessary) Imperial systems. You may have to conduct sabotage and/or kidnapping missions in those systems first.

To protect a planet and its assets you want troops. About three Army Regiments, and three Sullustan Regiments. These troops are more effective when led so your important worlds should have Generals.

You also have to have a minimum of two Gencore Shield Generators per world.

KDY-150 Ion Cannon, Starfighter squadrons, and naval fleets in orbit all may help when it comes to defeating and capturing Rebel agents.

NOTE that when a world is protected by only one shield generator it can still be invaded! (it cannot be bombarded however so the invading troops will be on their own) Naval Regiments are better at invading than Army Regiments. Don't even think of invading a defended world unless your troops are being led by a General!!!

Put an overpowered Solar Ionization Reactor in between two cheap-ass engines and a couple of laser cannon, put a chair with a rudimentary flight control and targeting computer on top, and surround the (unpressurized!) pilot with enough armor plate so he doesn't fry in a tenth of a second... riiiiiiiiight

Teukros, I frequently bombard planets with 1 or 2 gencores. As long as you have ships like Victory Destroyers it can be done. I am unsure why you said you could not bombard a planet with 1 gencore- but it is easily possible.-Grand Moff Conway

PS: Otherwise very good advice!

thanks the advice is great :lol: i must admit at present even on very slow i have o chance of kepping my raws and refined coming in better then the droid can :oops: i usually build up a construction planet in each sector first thing i can. give it 4-5 constuction yards until i get the better ones. the chars and what to do with them still has me buggered at times i know that ones with research bits are good and have figured how to use them and how to recruit but beyond that i got no idea yet but it's all learning.

and i have to agree just cause a planet has sheils if ya got enough ship ya can blow the crap outa it :wink: or combine a few blockading ships and hit em one at a time then spread back out i found works

Bombarding requires massed fleets and if you're playing the Alliance, I would urge you to keep your fleets dispersed in the early game - the first four hundred turns or so at least. Your Corellian Corvettes are more effective if they operate singly then if they're all massed together. I could quote Sun Tzu here but I'll spare you. You want to find all of the Imperial worlds that have no defenses (and they're out there) before the defenses get built - the only way to do that is to have all of your available ships spread out as much as possible.

You'll frequently run into the Imperial Fleet. Welcome these encounters! Having a single Corvette turn tail and run is technically a defeat but it is so minor that I have never seen it affect popular support in a sector. And you will have just gathered vital intelligence on the location of Imperial ships...

Also as the Alliance you should take down most (if not all) Imperial shield generators with characters conducting sabotage missions. In sabotage, the Alliance has a clear advantage over the Empire.

IMO:

As far as the game speed goes, trying to market Rebellion as an RTS game may have been one of the biggest blunders in computer gaming history. It's a turn based game - anyone can see that. Not that I'm complaining about "Very Slow" speed mind you - it does usually allow enough time to do everything you need to do in a turn, except for the first few turns of course but that's okay - Lord knows I frequently need a kick in the butt. :? But sometimes I keep it in "Very Slow" mode (there's no "Next Turn" button) and I'm almost falling asleep because when nothing much is happening, "Very Slow" is very slow. And the so-called "Slow" speed is actually FAST - much too fast to even read all of the reports as they come in, let alone play the game. So why even include the so-called "Fast" and "Very Fast" speeds? No one except a Jedi could play at those speeds.

Here is the link to a FAQ that you should find useful. Take it with a grain of salt but it looks like it contains some useful information:

(Don't click on this link - You'll need to copy these URLs into your address bar, they somehow have it set up so that clicking on the URL will not work)

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/rebellion_a.txt

...and here are links to documents which are all about the Alliance and Imperial ships and fighters:

(Same deal with these two links. Don't click on them, copy the URLs into your address bar)

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/rebellion_rebel_ship.txt

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/rebellion_imperial_ship.txt

Be wary of most of the other so-called FAQs out there - they're full of bad advice. None of them is worse than the Gamespot Gameguide. The only thing useful in the Gameguide is this advice:

C-3PO will have you ready to claw your own eyes out if you let him babble away every time a message comes in. Turn off the "translate counterpart" setting from his menu. On the Imperial side, you might want to deactivate SD-7, the counterpart droid that makes some really awful noises when a status message comes in. IMP-22, on the other hand, has a very cool, appropriately oily kind of voice that helps get you psyched for galactic conquest.

8)

gees why turn 3po off he's as close to a female secretary as i'll ever get :oops:

the txt documents on the ships look great would be even better in word or acrobat format with images of the ships and stuff

hmmmmmmm but where would such a thing be hosted :lol:

Depends on which side you're playing. If you're playing the Imperials it won't make much of a difference because the computer cheats, cheats, cheats to do everything in its power to make sure that the Rebels win. :evil:

But if you're playing the Rebels and you kill all of the Imperial researchers, it should have some effect.

ah ok cool cause i have 1 dead 1 prisoner and i'm about to open up a can of whoopass on the planet where a third one is. i've never had more then 2 before so i'm hoping they only have three.

another quick one about refined materials. i have the same number of mines as refineries i have about 3500 maintenance points sitting at the top of the screen and have stopped making all ships regiments and buildings other then mines and refinerys but i can never get either raw or refined materials to move off 0. any hints would be great thanks

You want a balance between the two and zero is actually the number you should have if I recall correctly. Every time you build a matched pair it should add the usual amount to your maintenence income.-Grand Moff Conway

A little bit of a resource bottleneck isn't a terrible thing. It just means that the GenCore (or whatever) that was supposed to take X days to finish will end up taking X+Y days to finish. If Y is a small number, who cares? But if it is larger than X, you've got problems. :lol:

Highlight all Construction Yards. Not the active ones... all of them. Visit each one and make sure he is doing what he is supposed to be doing. Do the same for your Training Centers and your Shipyards. Maybe you have eight or nine small shipyards on formerly neutral worlds which, when they joined your side, you ordered them to build X-Wings because you didn't have anything better for them to do. Or something. Those refined materials have got to be going somewhere.