EaW What do you want?

Stellar_Magic

We've all heard it, Empire at War, and our reaction to some of its features has been... huh?

Firstly I'd like to say that at least we've been blessed with another RTS after all these years that with a little modding may be our hope and prayer for a sequeal to Rebellion, maybe...

Pertoglyph is a surprisingly open community for a game design team, and has as Cain posted, contacted several members of the modding community, unfortunately it seems that in the process they skipped over us.

I figured if we wrote an Email of introduction, suggestions, and questions, we may be able to help lead them toward a game we'd all like to play...

So what would you want in such an E-mail?

Of course we should probably ask if they've ever played Star Wars Rebellion... That will undoubtably be the first question on the list.

I'd like to ask about the moddability of the game, can more planets be easily added, and can units and vessels be added instead of simply replaced like in Star Wars Rebellion?

How intelligent are the individual unit AIs, X-wings and the like are constantly moving right? The dumbest thing with Galactic Battlegrounds was how the fighters just sat there...

How accurate are the units, do they always hit their mark (Even if the target has moved, hence sand) or is their a random element effected by experience that tells how often the vehicle will just plain miss?

Now suggestions...

We've read that Y-wings and X-wings can be called in on strike missions, but what about orbital bombardment? Why not make it so that the shield generator on the planet (Like on Hoth) is designed to protect the planet from an orbital barrage instead of shielding an individual structure. That way if you loose the shield generator you're almost completely helpless from the bombardment and will be forced off the base... probably. You could make it so that ground based ion cannons could stop the bombardment and give the player a fighting chance.

Now, some articles say that the game gives rebel units an edge both in space and on the ground, but in the films the rebel army units (Not counting the Commandos) on the ground were inferior to the imperial army. The rebels should be given something of a mixed bag of units, Alliance Army units should be poor fighters and cheap (These are what were defending hoth) while rebel commando units should be superior to their imperial foes and expensive.

Entrenchements, rebels dig trenches, imps don't. We saw it on Hoth, is it in the game, and how hard would it be to impliment such a simple defense into the game?

We'd also like to see the game have more planets, a lot more... Though adding as many planets as Rebellion had (200 available planets) would be problematic we feel anything less then fifty would make for a rather short lived and less then replayable game. Perhaps 200 would be possible with the addition of a random map generator for each of the individual worlds but otherwise we understand that such a large number of hand crafted planetary maps created for an off the shelf game is excessive.

Okay what would you like to say?

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Guest JediIgor

I'd like to ask about the moddability of the game, can more planets be easily added, and can units and vessels be added instead of simply replaced like in Star Wars Rebellion?

Yes, I'd make it more broad and just ask if there is an SDK, if there is, community can always come up with their own tools, if there isn't, we're probably screwed anyways and I'd follow up with either GaW or Reb 2.

How intelligent are the individual unit AIs, X-wings and the like are constantly moving right? The dumbest thing with Galactic Battlegrounds was how the fighters just sat there...

That's not that dumb, you probably mean when they're assaulting a ship? When they're not I'd expect them to either be inside a Cruiser or just do some flight patrols. Good question though.

How accurate are the units, do they always hit their mark (Even if the target has moved, hence sand) or is their a random element effected by experience that tells how often the vehicle will just plain miss?

Yes... I can see this as being a problem, what about sand though? What does sand have to do with anything? Hope this makes it in instead of troops being able to just take 100 shots before dying :) (staying alive by evading[i/] shots always makes more sense)

We've read that Y-wings and X-wings can be called in on strike missions, but what about orbital bombardment? Why not make it so that the shield generator on the planet (Like on Hoth) is designed to protect the planet from an orbital barrage instead of shielding an individual structure. That way if you loose the shield generator you're almost completely helpless from the bombardment and will be forced off the base... probably. You could make it so that ground based ion cannons could stop the bombardment and give the player a fighting chance.

Now, some articles say that the game gives rebel units an edge both in space and on the ground, but in the films the rebel army units (Not counting the Commandos) on the ground were inferior to the imperial army. The rebels should be given something of a mixed bag of units, Alliance Army units should be poor fighters and cheap (These are what were defending hoth) while rebel commando units should be superior to their imperial foes and expensive.

Yep, I agree, don't count on any of those being in the game though. LEC will want it out in 12 months as usual.

Entrenchements, rebels dig trenches, imps don't. We saw it on Hoth, is it in the game, and how hard would it be to impliment such a simple defense into the game?

Just because it wasn't in the movies and wasn't mentioned in the books, doesn't mean Imps don't dig trenches. Why wouldn't they? :)

We'd also like to see the game have more planets, a lot more... Though adding as many planets as Rebellion had (200 available planets) would be problematic we feel anything less then fifty would make for a rather short lived and less then replayable game. Perhaps 200 would be possible with the addition of a random map generator for each of the individual worlds but otherwise we understand that such a large number of hand crafted planetary maps created for an off the shelf game is excessive.

Okay what would you like to say?

Haha, random generated planets! ROFL yeah right, look at the screenshots, all the planets are obviously hand crafted. Once again, not going to happen due to the 12 month time limit.

=================

Of course if some of my predictions do come wrong, then all the better.. but someone like Petroglyph, they are new to the scene, I doubt they will have much sway as opposed to someone like BioWare (KOTOR was .. decent, not horrible).

Some more questions you might want asking is,

How this game will be different from all the previous Star Wars Strategy games (INCLUDING Rebellion), and how they plan on improving on it? I don't want them to give crap like this is totally brand new because 4x games have been doing this for a while.

Also what kind of replayability is there going to be, and how do they plan to keep people playing their game a few months after everyone beats it for the first time? Scripted campaigns are only this much fun.

Most importantly, ask them if you will be able to play "capture the planets" mode (i.e. have all 20 planets where you can fight on all of them) in MULTIPLAYER. Cause conquering all of them would be awesome, even Rome: Total War hasn't done that. SWR got close, but you could only have space battles.

Yeah, that's it.. if they answer, you should Submit to News, I'm sure Evaders will put it up, and just remind us here for those who don't check the index page that often.

Important to me:

- Will there be an experience system?

- Will there be any kind of characters? Fleet Captains? Squadron Leaders? Generals? Hero units? (I'd guess no.)

- Of course, how modable is the game?

Less important:

- How much does the environment influence battles? Will fighter squadrons be able to surprise attack from asteroid belts? Will troops be hiding behind rock formations (or in trenches) to avoid enemy fire?

- About firepower: Do units (especially small ones) rely more on a large health bar fighting against big ones or on their relative inability to hit? Will a turbolaser blast kill an X-Wing? Will a barrage from an AT-ST kill a rebel trooper in one hit?

Stack this with the previous question to learn much about the strategy of this game.

- What kind of computer will I have to buy if I want to play?

Ah yes, and

- Is Dagobah in? If so, why?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/RiesstiuIV/Krempel/trapaure.gif

I remember sending a mail to a guy at Petrogylph. All i got was an answer saying they didn't have any places laft in their develloppement team. Which wass far from my original question.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Thats funny Mad... :lol::lol::lol:

So all we have to do to land a job at those places is email em?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

I have an idea for a new way to get inside information. One of use manages to get a job there and secretly passes over confidential info which we put online.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Even with mods, I think this game will fail. I am sure it will be fun to play but the game overall IS NOT going to be able to be a Rebellion2. Its impossible. In Rebellion fighters could NOT just shoot a capital ship and all of a sudden the ship dies because fighters could bypass the shields. The scale for EaW is all off, 20 planets!!?!? It doesnt seem like characters and diplomacy will play a large role. Its essentially a game designed for 'small scale real time battles' thats just how it seems to me. Shame too really. The Star Wars galaxy is a rich one and its a shame that someone doesnt make a game that was as grand as Rebellion was but at the same time giving us a better fleet battle engine and making the interface a little easier to navigate through.
http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Even with mods, I think this game will fail. I am sure it will be fun to play but the game overall IS NOT going to be able to be a Rebellion2. Its impossible. In Rebellion fighters could NOT just shoot a capital ship and all of a sudden the ship dies because fighters could bypass the shields. The scale for EaW is all off, 20 planets!!?!? It doesnt seem like characters and diplomacy will play a large role. Its essentially a game designed for 'small scale real time battles' thats just how it seems to me. Shame too really. The Star Wars galaxy is a rich one and its a shame that someone doesnt make a game that was as grand as Rebellion was but at the same time giving us a better fleet battle engine and making the interface a little easier to navigate through.

Corection - 30 Major planets.

Second corection - not all the obejcts in space will be only planets

The game will not fail - not if they wake up - they seem to confident - and they have their reasons.

Charactyers and diplomacy and jedy and all that crap will play an important role - same as in rebellion.

etc,etc.

grrrrr As soon as my article about EaW comes out in the magazine I will be able to translate it and post an elaborate study of EaW.

I also think I will have to change my ID....yup to many problems if you are to enthusiasyic ...loll.

JediIgor all the EaW fansites are way in the dark .... they lack real site magic ... how about you makeing a EaW fan site like SWR ?

If JediIgor or Stellar_Magic send the email - they will reply - nice job Stellar_Magic. They have replyed to my emails :) why not yours .... I hope I have not upset them to much with the Warlords vs. EaW issue....anyway if we send the letter I will inform the sender how and to who to send it.

BTW Nice to see the RDB II members abaptable like always to new chalenges and prospects :)

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Guest JediIgor
Corection - 30 Major planets.

Not very different from 20.. as compared to 200.

Second corection - not all the obejcts in space will be only planets

So there's going to be space stations, big whoop, :).

The game will not fail - not if they wake up - they seem to confident - and they have their reasons.

Why would it fail? Star Wars is a license to print money, it won't fail, it just won't be a Rebellion 2 :).

Charactyers and diplomacy and jedy and all that crap will play an important role - same as in rebellion.

etc,etc.

Maybe. We just haven't seen anything to indicate that yet. And when you don't see something coming from LEC, it's probably not there.

I also think I will have to change my ID....yup to many problems if you are to enthusiasyic ...loll.

??? Are you hiding from someone? Your IP will probably be the same anyways just so you know.

JediIgor all the EaW fansites are way in the dark .... they lack real site magic ... how about you makeing a EaW fan site like SWR ?

Knock yourself out, the only kind of game fansite I'd make would be for a game with a very long lifespan, like Rebellion.

BTW Nice to see the RDB II members abaptable like always to new chalenges and prospects :)

Huh...??

Well I haven't emailed them yet, I was waiting to get a list of requests from the SWR community.

Signature:

Oh for God sake:

Quotes

Resources

Resource gathering is present in the game's design, in the traditional sense, and to be honest, it doesn't seem to me that Petroglyph has fully hammered how it's going to work in the long run. I was told that the amount of resources at your disposal is tied directly to how many planets are in your possession.

Multiplayer

The multiplayer elements are just as exciting: the campaign mode can be played competitively by two players, and there will be a host of skirmish maps available, for competitors preferring a more conventional RTS experience.

Planet assoults

....a savvy enemy will target your transports first to reduce the likelihood of your troops making it to the ground. You can take advantage of the interaction between ground and space to blockade enemy planets, trapping enemy forces on the surface. Since spaceships can't be produced on the ground, the blockaded player will have to move fleets from other systems in to break the blockade.

Characters & Planets

.... We do know that there will be hero units in the game, but the team wouldn't confirm whether or not you can take Darth Vader or the Millennium Falcon into battle.

As a result, you may also find neutral planets that you can recruit to your cause. For that matter, you'll even be able to recruit powerful hero characters for your armies, including legendary Jedi, such as the fearsome Sith lord Darth Vader.

Space Battles

....(along with bigger targets, like capital ships and space stations). These major targets will be outfitted with hard points, which are specific areas along the chassis that have different upgrades slotted into them, like engines, shield generators, and weapons. Because these large vessels are either immobile or slow-moving at best, space battles will resemble naval battles with ships maneuvering to fire broadsides at each other. You may find yourself trying to destroy all weapons on one side of a large ship so that it can't fire on you.

Number ofThe various weapons, shields, and engines can each be targeted separately. If you want to take out the large ships quickly, you'll need to attack their shield generators right away. The AI makes some of these calls on their own, leaving you free to focus on other matters inhabitet planets at the start

Picture a galactic map populated by 20 or 30 planets (the exact number is yet to be finalized).

Other Battle aspects

....you'll be able to send whatever troops you have on the ground up into space, and you can bring your space pilots down to the surface to help out there. You'll even be able to affect space battles from the ground (and vice versa) by capturing a surface-built ion cannon to fire salvos into space, or you can call in fighter-bombers from orbit to make bombing runs on enemy territories.

Game Mechanics

...Though the new engine was written from scratch, it was written by Petroglyph staffers who previously created the W3D engine, which powered many of EA's 3D strategy games, like Earth & Beyond, Command & Conquer: Generals, and, most recently, The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth. (The soundtrack will even include selections from both classic John Williams movie scores and former Westwood composer-turned-Petroglyph staffer Frank Klepacki, who also provided scoring for Emperor: Battle for Dune, among others.)

...etc....etc

Quotes Sources are official based on perviews by - Petroglyph lead programmer Michael Legg and LucasArts producer Brent Tosti.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Guest JediIgor
The multiplayer elements are just as exciting: the campaign mode can be played competitively by two players, and there will be a host of skirmish maps available, for competitors preferring a more conventional RTS experience.

Woohoo! TWO players! Wow, I thought Doom 3 made it awesome with their 4 players.

Why should we have 64 player multiplayer, or even 12 player multiplayer, when we can have TWO player multiplayer!

Maybe they should call it TWOplayer instead of MULTIplayer.

....a savvy enemy will target your transports first to reduce the likelihood of your troops making it to the ground. You can take advantage of the interaction between ground and space to blockade enemy planets, trapping enemy forces on the surface. Since spaceships can't be produced on the ground, the blockaded player will have to move fleets from other systems in to break the blockade.

That doesn't say much of anything except that there isn't planetary bombardment.

.... We do know that there will be hero units in the game, but the team wouldn't confirm whether or not you can take Darth Vader or the Millennium Falcon into battle.

I hope not.. a single Star Destroyer could take out the Millennium Falcon easily, not like in the movies.

....(along with bigger targets, like capital ships and space stations). These major targets will be outfitted with hard points, which are specific areas along the chassis that have different upgrades slotted into them, like engines, shield generators, and weapons. Because these large vessels are either immobile or slow-moving at best, space battles will resemble naval battles with ships maneuvering to fire broadsides at each other. You may find yourself trying to destroy all weapons on one side of a large ship so that it can't fire on you.

Uhh.. naval ship battles.. wtf? Slow moving? Slow accelerating maybe, but last time I checked you could get quite close to the speed of light before you have problems about moving slowly..

Picture a galactic map populated by 20 or 30 planets (the exact number is yet to be finalized).

Ok. You know what else I can do, but I don't have to do? I could picture a map of 200 planets, but I don't, because Rebellion already did it. 7 years ago.

...Though the new engine was written from scratch, it was written by Petroglyph staffers who previously created the W3D engine, which powered many of EA's 3D strategy games, like Earth & Beyond, Command & Conquer: Generals, and, most recently, The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth. (The soundtrack will even include selections from both classic John Williams movie scores and former Westwood composer-turned-Petroglyph staffer Frank Klepacki, who also provided scoring for Emperor: Battle for Dune, among others.)

What's so good about that? I don't want C&C, I don't want LotR, I want Star Wars. Not another RTS.