60th Anniversary of Auschwitz liberation

Today marks the 60th anniversary of the Russian liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp at the end of the Second World War. Over 1.5 Million Jews and others died at the Auschwitz and Birkenau (Brzezinka) camps.

I bring this to your attention because it is my belief that too little is done to educate recent generations on this and other atrocities. Even the various media sources I have access to, save for the CBC and other Canadian newspapers, give only passing reference to this solemn anniversary.

I know that across Europe, especially at the camps themselves, ceremonies of respect and rememberance are taking place today. I would ask those of us not fortunate enough to pay our respects in person to do so in our own way at home.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

A worthy post.

We must never forget the horrors of what happened there, ever. Future generations must always be informed of the darkness that can swiftly descend upon societies when the flame of democracy and free speech are distinguished under the thumb of tyrants. What was ironic about the Soviet liberation was that the Stalin and his fascists dwarfed Hitler in the amount of human beings he exterminated.

I agree with you though, apparently 25% of British school children don't know what happened there. And as far as holocausts go, they probably don't even know where Cambodia is.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Guest JediIgor

We must pass down these histories. Our children must never forget. We must never have a reprisal of these horrible atrocities against humankind.

What's interesting is that my English class is analyzing a poem about concentration camps and God (or lack thereof) today and tomorrow.. coincidence?

But never mind Stalin, he ruled his own people and he murdered his own people.. Hitler attacked other nations and killed people who weren't even his to govern! They are both bad in fact, but it's the ideology behind them that was the worse.. the Nazis believed Jews should be exterminated, and the Soviets had no such belief (only a crazy leader).

All in all I hope this never happens again.. now with news being instantaneous across the world, there should be no reason why another government can't intervene to prevent a second government from attemping atrocities.

Well, there is still the fact that many governments choose not to act because there is not advantage for them. Look at what is happening in the Congo. We know there is rame, murder, and genocide, but I don't see the US going out of its way to do anything about it.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

But never mind Stalin, he ruled his own people and he murdered his own people.. Hitler attacked other nations and killed people who weren't even his to govern! They are both bad in fact, but it's the ideology behind them that was the worse.. the Nazis believed Jews should be exterminated, and the Soviets had no such belief (only a crazy leader).

No. Let's not never mind Stalin. Whilst I don't want to distract from the rememberance of all the people murdered at Auschwitz, the vast bulk of whome were Jewish; Stalin's killing spree was is no means confined to his own borders; don't forget he swallowed up vast areas of land after signing his 'peace treaty,' with Hitler; the Baltic States, huge parts of Poland, and Bessarabia. In this context I also don't actually think the concept of 'borders' have much meaning, systematic genocide is murder, pure and simple. Whilst Germany has quite obviously had to address it's Nazi past, Russia has not had to address it's Soviet; and at it's worst Stalin past.

Well, there is still the fact that many governments choose not to act because there is not advantage for them. Look at what is happening in the Congo. We know there is rape, murder, and genocide, but I don't see the US going out of its way to do anything about it.).

I believe the death toll in the Congo is about 3.5 million lives now. Rhawanda was well over a million. And the genocide in Southern Sudan goes on. Whilst I broadly agree with pointing at North America and wondering why it is not rattling it's saber in these regions given it's status as soul Super Power, and it's virtual control over the IMF and World Bank; one can forgive it for not taking direct military action given the volume of protest from the left over it's continued presance in Iraq helping the Iraqi people transcend into democracy. Why don't other military powers in the world do something to help out. Probably because France, China, Germany, Russia, the United Kingdom, the Arab Nations, like America don't see to much economic advantage in doing so.

Meanwhile, as you pointed out, the genocide goes on. :?

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I thought the lighting-on-fire of the railroad tracks was an awesome idea. And not in some sick, twisted sort of way.
I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

One of the Darkest times of History.

I saw a film about the Holocaust and learnt a bit more about Eric Dorf.What a Psycho. He believed that he could convince other nations that what he was doing was right.

http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/shakehead.gif Humans are sometimes very stange

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance