What is Hyperspace?

NIIIC

Guest Scathane

Not particularly... Of course, the 'daily' discovery of new stuff can be said to prove that there isn't a satisfactory theory of everything. Then again, if such a theory were to exist, it might well be that adversaries of such a theory fail to see how certain things they think are not covered by the theory are, in fact, covered... Does that make sense?

However, what I was saying in my previous post is that you cannot directly prove that you have formulated a theory of everything. The reason for this is that the period of time over which you might discover new things, is infinite.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not particularly... Of course, the 'daily' discovery of new stuff can be said to prove that there isn't a satisfactory theory of everything. Then again, if such a theory were to exist, it might well be that adversaries of such a theory fail to see how certain things they think are not covered by the theory are, in fact, covered... Does that make sense?

However, what I was saying in my previous post is that you cannot directly prove that you have formulated a theory of everything. The reason for this is that the period of time over which you might discover new things, is infinite.

Understood. What you're talking about though, would basically be the the ability (or inability) to develope a formula to predict the unpredictable. But isn't that what Chaos theory attempts to do? :? By a theory/formula of everything, I believe they mean a formula for which everything can be solved despite knowing or not knowing certain amounts of knowledge. For instance, despite the fact we cannot predict the fluctuations of solar-flares of stars outside our view (i.e. so many lightyears away, we cannot see them), we could create a formula to predict these fluctuations based on what limtied knowledge we have. The theory/formula would not 100% accurate, but the difference wouldn't be statistically significant.

Personally I find the idea of "star gates" or "star portals" more realistic (as realistic as a sci-fi idea can ever be :D ). Sure the "press-button-accelerate to hyperspace" idea in Star Wars is cool, but if we ever get to travel to distant planets, I think it would be more practical with "gates" rather that each ship to have its own hyperdrive.

" The darkside? I've been there! Do your worst!.. " - Kyle Katarn

"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life-form?" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

http://img148.exs.cx/img148/6299/shuttle8xc.gif

Chaos theory is primarily an application of Quantum Physics to everyday occurances. As a TOE its really week in that it does not unify any of the forces into one single force. The ultimate goal is to make it so that every single particle or force is actually made of one thing. In the case of string theory, strings...

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Guest Scathane
The theory/formula would not 100% accurate, but the difference wouldn't be statistically significant.
Again, the problem would be that, although we would think the inaccuracy is statistically different, we would never know this to be true until something happens that proves the inaccuracy, by some occurance, proves to be statistically essential...

The theory/formula would not 100% accurate, but the difference wouldn't be statistically significant.
Again, the problem would be that, although we would think the inaccuracy is statistically different, we would never know this to be true until something happens that proves the inaccuracy, by some occurance, proves to be statistically essential...
You're right. Hey, weren't you Supreme Chancellor of Statistics or something like that?

Personally I find the idea of "star gates" or "star portals" more realistic (as realistic as a sci-fi idea can ever be :D ). Sure the "press-button-accelerate to hyperspace" idea in Star Wars is cool, but if we ever get to travel to distant planets, I think it would be more practical with "gates" rather that each ship to have its own hyperdrive.

Well it would be very hard to make it. You see to creat a black hole you would need an imense quantity of energy in a very small space. But I guess in the end it could be possible.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Well it would be very hard to make it. You see to creat a black hole you would need an imense quantity of energy in a very small space. But I guess in the end it could be possible.

Why a black hole? :? I mean, I've heard of the theory you could travel through time and what-not if you could travel through a black hole, but that's if you could travel through it.

Well, it's not really a matter of travelling through a black hole. "Black Hole" is a decieving title. There is actually a mass at the centre of each black hole, a massive ammount of mass packed into a small sphere. In order to take advantage of the seaparation of time and space, you would have to reach the surface of the core, which, as you suggested, would be difficult seeing as you would be torn appart atom-by-atom on your journey :lol:.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

The idea of "jumpgates" sound more realistic for me. In the game "Freelancer" the idea is well applied. For instance, create a series of low-level jumpgates in sucession, each one pushing the spacecraft every time, like creating the effect of a train. That way in-system travel can be organized in "lanes" while leaving the inter-system travel to the real jumpgates.

Other example of the jumpgate idea in action is in the "Babylon 5" series.

"May the force be with the pizza guy. I want it in less that 30 mins or less."

You can kill me later, thank you.

I want you to join KoC.

Well, it's not really a matter of travelling through a black hole. "Black Hole" is a decieving title. There is actually a mass at the centre of each black hole, a massive ammount of mass packed into a small sphere. In order to take advantage of the seaparation of time and space, you would have to reach the surface of the core, which, as you suggested, would be difficult seeing as you would be torn appart atom-by-atom on your journey :lol:.
That's true, but then again, it's not known if there truly is a sphere of mass there...if there is anything there, for that matter. Quite simply, physics (both Newtonian and Quantum) can not explain it, so quite simply people can speculate and make educated guesses, but they're regardless only theories, nothing more.

The idea of "jumpgates" sound more realistic for me. In the game "Freelancer" the idea is well applied. For instance, create a series of low-level jumpgates in sucession, each one pushing the spacecraft every time, like creating the effect of a train. That way in-system travel can be organized in "lanes" while leaving the inter-system travel to the real jumpgates.

Other example of the jumpgate idea in action is in the "Babylon 5" series.

If you've ever seen the 1998 anime series COWBOY BEBOP, they too incorporate jumpgates and what-not, but to a far lesser degree, only using them to travel within our Solar System and only as far as the moons of Jupiter, specifically Ganymede and Callisto. They also refer to the "Gate Accident" where sometime before 2081, apparently, they were testing a jumpgate on the Moon when it exploded and sent enormous chunks of our rocky satellite raining down on Earth. The subsequent Deep Impact scenario it caused forced humanity to really push immigration (which had already begun at least twenty years earlier) into space, so that people live on Mars, Ganymede, and Callisto (with an attempt to terraform Titan, but it failed and two subsequent wars were fought there).

EDIT: That's interesting, the post submitted itself before I finished typing and hit the 'Submit' button, yet I remained on the same screen.... :?

This is actually wrong. A 'black-hole' is in effect a point of singularity (which cannot exist anywhere else in the universe). It is this point of space where all the matter of the black-hole is contained, and as such has lost all identity. At this singularity the laws of physics brake down completely. This is conveniantly obscured by the event-horizon, which basically means anything capable of falling into a black hole and looking over it's shoulder would see out universe age and die before it ever reached the singularity. So we are never going to know what exactly is the point of singularity. In effect there is no core, just a point of singularity, of zero size, which some physicists have labeled the 'Face of God.'

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

This is actually wrong. A 'black-hole' is in effect a point of singularity (which cannot exist anywhere else in the universe). It is this point of space where all the matter of the black-hole is contained, and as such has lost all identity. At this singularity the laws of physics brake down completely. This is conveniantly obscured by the event-horizon, which basically means anything capable of falling into a black hole and looking over it's shoulder would see out universe age and die before it ever reached the singularity. So we are never going to know what exactly is the point of singularity. In effect there is no core, just a point of singularity, of zero size, which some physicists have labeled the 'Face of God.'
Jahled, make sure to write this down somewhere and stick it on the fridge along with that drawing you got a gold star back in grade school. :twisted: Sorry, just kidding, but that just about says it all. :)

If physics had been tought to me at school in such terms maybe I would have had more time to learn the mundain stuff than daydream like Calvin out of the window....
http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• 2 weeks later...