Empire At War -- the new SW RTS

Guest JediIgor

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should think what you write before posting, Cain. Just because you will not care for Rebellion once Petroglyph-oh-so-great-game-that-is-still-alpha will be released will not mean that all of us will mindlessly change Rebellion (and its mod) for a game, that some of us will not be playing at first. (Not all of us can afford to have top computers, with top video cards to play the most recent games).

As for Reloaded, the project has had rough times. Lots of people coming and going, Tsunami, Pucho, Venix, smonica and others (including you Cain) other just taking some pronounced inactivity periods (Tk, myself) hurt the project, plus when Reloaded was first proposed it was not as total as it is now. Back then, there was no way to replace Tactical Models, and no Reshack either. In that sense the team (especially Mask) have been pioneering, and without (our)his efforts not even your Protectorates mods wouldn't have succeeded. To throw all that effort away simply because a new dumbed-down version of the game will be available later this year, seems stupid.

I've read that you have already started to discuss a Mod for EaW, based upon the stuff for Reloaded and Warlords. Cain, the game is not out yet, you don't know what to mod. Either you are already growing tired o of modding Rome:TW or did someone ask you to help with the System Defenses Cards for Rome, and simply decided to move elsewhere? Whatever it is, have you approached Eville about his models? Because you have not approached the Reloaded Team, and if the posts above were your approach, you will not count with my support, for your mod.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

:arrow: Jhaled you know that I always end up in a different dimenssion so...I'm sorry for useting you guys talking about this tabu subject.

As long as you completely fail to grasp how my name is spelt, that's chaotic enough for me to tolerate! :lol:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

:arrow: So if I say that I belive that Reloaded will never be finished I do a bad thing ?! Or nobady of you have seen why I vanished from Reloaded ?!

It is a bad thing, because of the way yo delivered it. ]I did not see you contributing much for Reloaded, you did what one Card? And when you were given work you just leave... Oh, that's a great way to support a mod.

:arrow: Let me put it this way. If Eaw will have half of the planets number from Rebellion ... the Reloaded project will be forced to move to that game and abandon moding on Rebellion.

Why should that be? You have not given any other reason. Just because you want to mod it, does not mean all of us will want to mod it. The Rebellion community stand longer than most, it will outlive EaW. Intelligent people prefer imagination over flashy graphics, that might be the difference between us.

:arrow: But then again I may be rung and you maybe right. And BTW I was never far away from SWR...I always was near.

But imperceptible. What's the point of checking a topic or another and not replying.

:arrow: I should have made a different ID and post my opinions about the Reloaded speed. If we don't have the movies why not releaseing it as a beta ?! Why deprive the community of playng it ?

Hiding behind the cover of an anynomous ID. That's a great way to make yourself credible.

:arrow: Jhaled you know that I always end up in a different dimenssion so...I'm sorry for useting you guys talking about this tabu subject.

You did not only upset Jahled. And it is not a taboo subject, I have no problem talking about Reloaded and admitting that we had problems. It is the first comprehensive mod to that game and there was a lots of new stuff to discover, and much trial and error. We all have lives, and many of us are students so it will take a lot of time. There are other mods to other games out there that don't get as far as ours. We will complete it. I never have doubted that.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

• SWR Staff - Executive

I am closing this topic until further notice.

Edit: Topic reopened. Play nice!

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

:arrow: I want to apologise for my words at all parties involved - Reloaded Team and Warlords. I think me and alchool don't mix.

:arrow: Anyway the extent of my damage is unknown and it can be damage or it can be a good thing. I hope its the last. Still I finded my stupid tone on all the LEC forums and fan sites ....it seem I am very productive with alchool on bord. Holy Mother of Crist ...... I was playng with a plasma bomb.

:arrow: I had to email .....EDIT..... to apologise for my latest emails tone....not to mention you guys. It seems very strange now that i look back at my actions and they seem to me more like a dark side that I never fully knew.

:arrow: Anyway i was never close to PCs when I drinked to much before.... yup

:arrow: This beeing said ....I say again I'm sorry you will probably never be able to forgive me....so I hope that the relesase of EaW and the cooling down of this little escapade will ....cool down things.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::oops::oops::oops::cry::cry::cry:

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Well you are man enough to hold your hands up. :wink:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RAA6A98UntuQIeSgMPxUej3LKFejXUTJSYIn*4wMX4LzGWrzF!QDzhNSWncJ9FBZ4jnLJtGMmH0qUiJjGAhfcZuv1o7E4FbSwhg6Zb*rFnE/useforce.gif

:arrow: Thanks guys....I usualy do one BO BO like this every year....loll....my intentions are good but sometimes I have to much entisiasm usualy with some liquid support around.

:arrow: ..... I just hope that this will go ok after all..... still the team for moding EaW is starting to assemble oustide my area of influence....I will contact those groups and keep you also posted.

I know I am going to be a killjoy here but honestly, I dont think this game is going to be all that good. I am sure it might be fun...but 20 planets in the galaxy!!?!?!!

Like someone said before, this game seems to be nothing more than something geared at RTS neophytes. I liked the fact that in Rebellion on a huge setting there were 200 planets...and even then to me it seemed kind of small since most of those planets were in the Rim and had no real infrastructure. Empire at War seems to have the advantage of a much better graphics engine for the ground and space battles...something I wished Rebellion had....but the scale is sooo small in this game. I also dont like how bombers can now magically pierce the shields of a ship...lame. I know they are trying to make the game 'balanced' but on a whole the Rebels would have gotten owned by the Empire if it wasnt for the fact that in the novels as it was stated that the empire was spending a large number of its resources (fleets) on maintaining order. A galaxy is massive....To me this is soo small scale and just well lame in general. I guess this post is a rant and I am sorry. I was just hoping that a game that would sort of follow in Rebellion's footsteps would have been better done and with a larger scale so it would be a true heir. Oh well.

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Oh well.

Is what I mumbled after I deleated Galactic Battlegrounds after such high expectations from my HD.

Apologize not for a rant, Lucas Arts have made it clear over the years of PC gaming they don't give a toss what we as the consumer have to contribute (other than with our hard earned wages); the continued-and quite frankly amazing-continued appeal of Rebellion is surely down to a formular their accounts department haven't yet figured.

Scale.

Creative Imput.

Character Development.

Imagination.

Non-flashy stuff shagging non-high spec machines.

I could go on, but I guess you get the idea. Why is it that new games these days have to be at the cutting edge of quite frankly what anyone can afford with graphic cards etc. Lucas Arts could have lifted all but but their little finger to make Rebellion 2, and without the need to have graphics in your face all over the place.

Oh well.

Is what I mumbled after I deleated Galactic Battlegrounds after such high expectations from my HD.

Apologize not for a rant, Lucas Arts have made it clear over the years of PC gaming they don't give a toss what we as the consumer have to contribute (other than with our hard earned wages); the continued-and quite frankly amazing-continued appeal of Rebellion is surely down to a formular their accounts department haven't yet figured.

Scale.

Creative Imput.

Character Development.

Imagination.

Non-flashy stuff shagging non-high spec machines.

I could go on, but I guess you get the idea. Why is it that new games these days have to be at the cutting edge of quite frankly what anyone can afford with graphic cards etc. Lucas Arts could have lifted all but but their little finger to make Rebellion 2, and without the need to have graphics in your face all over the place.

I definitely agree with you. I remember back in the days of TIE Fighter...back then Lucasarts used to make pretty good games or at least I thought so. I remembered when I first played Rebellion that I was hoping it would be a dream come true. Finally an empire-building game set in the Star Wars universe. As it is Rebellion kind of let me down. The ship combat was not at all what I had been hoping for. I dont care too much about the ground battle idea but I wanted to see fleets of Star Destroyers and Mon Calamari cruisers blasting at each other.

Empire at War, to me it seems for a space game to be of very low scale, again I point out the 20 planets...and the idea of bombers somehow just penetrating the shields of a ship..to me this is just dumb. A Homeworld 2 idea was much better. In Homeworld 2 bombers and fighters arent the uber ships that it seems like they are going to be in this game.

I agree about the non flashy stuff. Has anyone here ever played Space Empires IV? Its not flashy at all but it has good gameplay in my view. I would personally be very happy with Rebellion if the fleet battles were better implemented. I really dont want to see blocky ships firing one shots at each other. Everything else about Rebellion was fine in my opinion. This game, the Empire at War, it looks kind of cool, but man...I was really hoping it would be a successor to Rebellion.

Um, did anyone notice from the screenshots on the Lucasarts page, that most of the models are not scaled correctly ? 8O

For example, the Corvette (150 meters) seems to be half the size of the Nebulon B (600m) and the Neb ~half of the ISD (1600 m) :(

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

I played Space Empires IV. It was some way better, some way poorer than SE III. And SE V will be 3D.

I also played the Stars! demo, and I liked it even better (despite it had even poorer battle implementation).

EaW is clearly not an empire building game. (This is not necesserely a problem!) And it will not be a long- lasting success. What do the fans want? Commanding Star Destroyers and AT- ATs into battle. The game, I think, tries to get that, and it will be a success. Early on. Soon after, you will find your way to win, and it will become boring. Fans who like empire building will be bored even sooner, so, I think it will be largely the same commercial failure as Rebellion. If smaller, than only because Force Commander- fans. If the developers take care, they will likely make it moddable to give it a slightly longer lifespan, but that's all.

Why? Stormtroopers and Star Destroyers are essential to SW feeling, but alone they cannot give that! I think many of you have played Galactic Battlegrounds, haven't you? Did you feel Star Wars? I did not. I think, many of you have played Tie fighter/X- wing. Did you feel Star Wars? I did.

Uhh, I am burrying a game that is not even finished yet. I must be stupid.

No I think you are dead on. The game I think will be like what you said, it wont last long. Which I think is a shame. One of the things I liked about Rebellion despite its flaws and poor fleet battles is, once I got into it, it got addicting. I admit I mod the heck out of Rebellion with rebedit but still..it was a lot of fun for a while. I remember the first time I used the Death Star after building it and discovered that core planets hate it when the death star destroys somethig...and pow I had a huge number of uprisings LOL.

But anyway, I wish this game was going to be bigger scale and actually kind of be more along the lines of empire building. SE V sounds pretty cool, I havent been reading on it too much so I dont know how its going but 3D huh? Pretty cool.

Guest JediIgor

Scale.. scale is what games need to learn how to do.

Look at Rome: Total War, that game got scale (almost, because people's comps are too slow) right. Have armies of thousands of people fight and take over all of Europe and basically forge a Roman Empire.

It's fun, because every time, you can do something different. You can start out as a different nation (i.e. start out in different planets), and you will get different units (starting tech/available tech), and because of the geography you will have to utilize different strategies/tactics.

Geography. A word in itself games get wrong, it is related to scale I suppose.. how many games do you have where standing on top of a hill is worthless? A lot.. Games like RTW though have proved that being on top of a hill is smart and lets the people take advantage of the terrain they are fighting on.

But Empire at War does not do these things. As has been pointed out, there are only 20 planets, the planetary battles feel like toy battles (what, less than 100 units on the screen? Even StarCraft can do better!), and the ship battles are horribly arcadish .. I'd like my 3rd dimension back, and the scales too, thanks!

All in all, I will think hard to decide whether I should even bother to pirate Empire at War.

Emm, eons ago, I started a scaling poll in the Rebellion 2 group, and from the 12 total votes, 7 was for the logarithmic scaling (ISD is ~three times the lenght of a corvette) and 5 for the linear ...

BTW, he lenght of the Nebulon- B is, well, unsure ... The original 300 m figure fitt with the 26m lenght of the Falcon, however, as the Falcon is actually bigger (33 or 34m), the Nebulon- B seen in TESB is nearly 400 m. And there is the (admitted, but not corrected) scaling error in RotJ ...

Let's back to find out how to create an overlay in D3D ...

Hahaha. I am forced to agree with Igor. I dont even think I would bother pira...I mean uh borrowing the game hehe. But who knows, I am sure it might be fun..but as it is I think its 'Star Wars Lite' which means it has no real relevance at all to the name. Sigh

• 4 weeks later...
All in all, I will think hard to decide whether I should even bother to pirate Empire at War.

Do you still belive this ?! :) - BTW were are you ? I can't find you enywere....

Guest JediIgor

Now that I heard there's going to be 2 person multiplayer I'll probably pirate it at the least.

I don't think you've been looking very hard, I'm in the chatroom every day and you can always contact me via AIM/ICQ/MSN :).

I'll probably pirate it at the least.

Your statement seems to blast apart efforts not to encourage such activity around here....as the site owner.

So I can at last blast loudly: :)

CAN SOMEONE REVERSE ENGINEER REBELLION AND PROVIDE US WITH THE SOURCE CODE!!!

..just a thought sort of thing.. :)

Now that I heard there's going to be 2 person multiplayer I'll probably pirate it at the least.

I don't think you've been looking very hard, I'm in the chatroom every day and you can always contact me via AIM/ICQ/MSN :).

My main problem with such programs is that they can't be installed at work :( - that's why I ise PMs - anyway if you decide to start eaw.swrebellion.com let me know so I start working on the artwork.