LOTR Battle for Middle Earth

bobandrubert

I refuse to have anything to do with that series. Ig was overhyped to begin iwth, and then it only got worse.
I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

While I found the books to fall far below the level of praise they were given, I am looking forward to The Battle for Middle Earth, but only for the gameplay and the moddig possibilities.

I personally think that J.R.R. would be mortified at the level of commercialization the executors of his estate have subjected his series of books to.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

While I found the books to fall far below the level of praise they were given, I am looking forward to The Battle for Middle Earth, but only for the gameplay and the moddig possibilities.

I personally think that J.R.R. would be mortified at the level of commercialization the executors of his estate have subjected his series of books to.

Quite a point there. I didn't see any of the movies yet. I just saw a little part of the second(?) movie, where an elf guy using a shield as a snowboard keeps sliding down the stairs and shooting some orks dowm tih his bow. ROFL :lol: That was fun :l

The game looks cool. But its true that since Peter Jackson adapted the series on silver screen (not that he shouldn't have!) LOTR has become much more commercial than fictionnal.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Quite a point there. I didn't see any of the movies yet. I just saw a little part of the second(?) movie, where an elf guy using a shield as a snowboard keeps sliding down the stairs and shooting some orks dowm tih his bow. ROFL :lol: That was fun :l

That part made me go http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/graemlins/w00t.gif

Just wondering, has any one gotten the game yet? I've seen it on the shelves and have considered getting it, but I've also heard that it is lacking in some areas. just want to be sure I'm not back in the store in two months trading it in for some strore credit.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• 2 weeks later...
I got the game. It was alright....but in my view it wasnt as 'epic' as the creators of the game were claiming it would be. I also have some other nitpicks with it...but I am hoping the modding community will step in and make the game a lot better.
http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Guest JediIgor

Definitely wasn't epic. All those screenshots you see.. well.. they lie.. your usual army will be probably less than 100 units (good), maybe 200 (evil), nothing at all like Rome: Total War.

Also, the campaigns aren't very dynamic, the light side campaign is just a replay of the 3 movies with "capture a territory" in-between the scripted scenarios.

It did one thing right at least, you keep your units between missions (well except when you go over-pop, then you mysteriously lose units.. blah).

Just wait Aragorn busts out with the army of the dead, then you'll like it :).

Well, he is quite right on many of his points. The army size isn't very big, but there is a reason for that. The Good campeign was just a replay of the movies, and you do lose any units over the population cap.

That said, Rome Total War in multiplayer isn't that entertaining, and it's not as popular a genre as the type of RTS games of the style BFME is. The population cap discourages people from "turtling" in their bases, amassing a huge army. Game play in BFME is much faster compared to any other RTS I've played. And, if the population cap really bothers you taht much, you can always edit it out :) .

I only have two qualms with the game. 1) There are too few 6 and 8 player multiplayer maps that have players start off with anything larger than an outpost (only three build points). While games like that can be fun, I still like the idea that I have a base I can easily defend to some degree.

2) While there is a mini mod out there that allows you to build Sauron as a hero, I would have preferred if he had already been included.

I agree with you Mad, JI can't seem to find any new games that he likes. While Rome Total War is new, it's basically the other Total War games with different units and slightly beefed-up graphics :lol: .

While I like BFME, I find that the developers did make it up to be more than it is. I'll play it, but I'm waiting for Red Alert 3 (in the works now), or until there is a decent 19th century RTS.

Just a little side note, EA has really been pissing me off lately. They'll build a game up, release it so that we find out it's not what we thought, and then say "Oh, sorry, we're working on something new. We'll give you a skeleton staff for three months, then we're not supporting it any more". Now that RA3 is in the works, you can bet there won't be much left of the BFME community in comming months, especially since EA took out most of the scripts that the modding sommunity would like, such as tank logistics and what not. That, any few mods would work with a fixed construction system.

Well, I suppose that's all for now. It's good have a little rant every now-and-then :lol: .

Guest JediIgor
It seems its very uncommon for JI to find a new generation game he likes.

Hrm, I like Rome Total War :). I'll like it even more after they fix all the bugs :).

I agree with you Mad, JI can't seem to find any new games that he likes. While Rome Total War is new, it's basically the other Total War games with different units and slightly beefed-up graphics :lol: .

Just like any RTS is point and click and build. Seriously, the whole TW genre is a unique strategy genre, and RTW makes the TW genre better by making the single player campaign map far more versatile. Neither in MTW or STW could you out-maneuver your enemies and actually move around your armies in certain spots on the territories :). Although I do miss instant troop movement via the water :(.

While I like BFME, I find that the developers did make it up to be more than it is. I'll play it, but I'm waiting for Red Alert 3 (in the works now), or until there is a decent 19th century RTS.

Heh, Red Alert 3, probably going to be using the Generals engine :). Don't hold your horses for a 19th century RTS either, Total War would do it except they want realistic army sizes (and they had what, hundreds of thousands of armies large then? :)). Are you sure you meant RTS anyways (what I call building a base and making a huge army in a few minutes), because Rise of Nations and Empire Earth have 19th century tech :).

Just a little side note, EA has really been pissing me off lately. They'll build a game up, release it so that we find out it's not what we thought, and then say "Oh, sorry, we're working on something new. We'll give you a skeleton staff for three months, then we're not supporting it any more". Now that RA3 is in the works, you can bet there won't be much left of the BFME community in comming months, especially since EA took out most of the scripts that the modding sommunity would like, such as tank logistics and what not. That, any few mods would work with a fixed construction system.

You haven't heard all the latest commotions about EA? Try reading this to start you off, http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/274.html

Disgusting. Anyway EA is just a big license machine which churns out yearly games who are the same as the year before but with better graphics.

Well there's some good 18th Century RTS games out there, American Conquest, Cossacks, etc. Unfortunately there aren't any real RTS games devoted to the 19th century, oh well.

Hmm...

I've played BFME and enjoyed it, its good but not great. Of course maybe I'm more attached because I've seen the films.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Well there's some good 18th Century RTS games out there, American Conquest, Cossacks, etc. Unfortunately there aren't any real RTS games devoted to the 19th century, oh well.

Hmm...

I've played BFME and enjoyed it, its good but not great. Of course maybe I'm more attached because I've seen the films.

You and GAT may be happy to know that Cossacks 2: Napoleonic Wars will be out quite soon

Looks interesting, though the ground unit graphics are a little on the Red Alert 2 side. But, if the game is fun, I really won't care! :lol:

Guest JediIgor
I guess if all those formations actually matter and if there are tactics in the game besides amassing the biggest army and shooting all your guys at once, then this might actually be a decent game irregardless of the graphics. However, I've only seen the Total War series actually do that, so I'll not be surprised if the game is not very good (how long does it take to make a sequel anyways? the graphics are completely the same..).

Age of Empires III has been recently announced. The Screenshots look great, and it's set in the 1500-1800 time period, though it doesn't seem as it will focus on europe, instead it'll focus on the colonization of America. Screenies
http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

That works for me. I can lead Canada/Britain in the defeat of America in the War of 1812 again :lol:. The only thing is, all of the AoE games (including Rise of Nations) are the same, just different names for the units. Maybe Microsith will change that. If not, Cossacks, should it be original (how about a little cannister or grape shot for a cannon rather than just round shot, or different weights for your cannon balls?), will sate my appetite. Of course, despite the fact that I hate EA, I might just hold out (for another year or so :lol:) for Battlefield 2.

Aoe3 seems promising and i noticied they seemes to have added the day/night factor which should make some games interessting.

I grabbed the most recent copy of PC Gamer and it's highlight is of AoE III, and I must say it looks very good. The day/night won't have any effect on the game, but it is no longer a build and attack game. You have to establish an economy, for alliances with natives, establish a home city which you can evolve and add to. That home city will have a level, from 1-100, which will reflect you skill, as well as how much assitance they will be able to send you.

You will also be able to recieve resources (if you're an economic rather than military leader) from your home city. If this is your type of war, it is possible to win without firing a shot.

If you prefer to focus everything on military conquest, you can recieve free troops from your home city.

I'll see if I can get a scan of the article for you guys for tomorow. I left it at work so I can't get it right now.