Re-adjust Resolution and color dept

GrAdEnqui

Hi,

As far as I know Star Wars: Rebellion runs with a resolution of 640x480 and a colordept of 256 colors.

Everybody knows that you can exchange the standart imagesets in the dll Files. So what about exchanging it with higher resolution images and forceing Rebellion to run in 32-Bit with a resolution of 1024x768 or higher ?!

Is it possible ?

Greetz,

Gr.Ad.Enqui

• 3 years later...

I've just recently learned how to edit Rebellion with Resource Hacker and i've run into a similar problem.

I've got pics that i'm sure are higher resolution, so I open them with Irfanview and transfer the DPI to 96 (i've tried 72 also) then I set the color to 256 colors. Now the pics are set to the same color level as the original pics (96 dpi, 8 bit color) but they don't work when I start up Rebellion, they are all messed up, I can see the basic structure of the pics but they are different colored pixels all over the pics.

And well i'm here, just in case I can't find a thread for it...I'm also editing the encyclopedia text also, everything i've edited so far has worked. I'm up to the planet text, trying to match the text with the renamed planets. I've replaced the text for most of the planets and I start up Rebellion to check my progress and the text appears exactly how I typed it but their are 2 squares in between the "Type: Core System" and my new text. The "squares" appear to be in the spot where i've hit the "Enter Key" in order to start a new line in the text.

So it appears like this...("*" represents the squares)

Sector: Shelsha----------------Type: Mid-Rim System*

Shelkonwa is the capital world of the Shelsha sector, which is overseen by Imperial Governor Barshnis Choard.

Can anyone help me out?

I've got pics that i'm sure are higher resolution, so I open them with Irfanview and transfer the DPI to 96 (i've tried 72 also) then I set the color to 256 colors. Now the pics are set to the same color level as the original pics (96 dpi, 8 bit color) but they don't work when I start up Rebellion, they are all messed up, I can see the basic structure of the pics but they are different colored pixels all over the pics.

Yor're not using the correct color palette. Load an original game pic into your graphics software, and save the palette as Rebellion palette. After you resolve resolution sizes & such, change to the Rebellion palette. Check your work before you save, as after changing palettes some pictures aren't as nice as you would want.

And well i'm here, just in case I can't find a thread for it...I'm also editing the encyclopedia text also, everything i've edited so far has worked. I'm up to the planet text, trying to match the text with the renamed planets. I've replaced the text for most of the planets and I start up Rebellion to check my progress and the text appears exactly how I typed it but their are 2 squares in between the "Type: Core System" and my new text. The "squares" appear to be in the spot where i've hit the "Enter Key" in order to start a new line in the text.

So it appears like this...("*" represents the squares)

Sector: Shelsha----------------Type: Mid-Rim System*

Shelkonwa is the capital world of the Shelsha sector, which is overseen by Imperial Governor Barshnis Choard.

Can anyone help me out?

Welcome to the old world clash of non-printable codes in the modern era. I believe the problem comes from the you mentioned, as it is really a combination of a "carriage return" and "line feed"; , both non-printable characters. It may be that only the is required, but I'm only guessing. As to how to put in only a single code, as opposed to the built-in double of , it's been a really long time ... it could be CTRL+"L" (hold the CONTROL key and press the "L" key, no quotes), but I don't know how ResourceHacker would handle that. An alternate might be +"012" (hold the ALT key and press the numbers "012", no quotes) but make sure you use the digits from the keyPAD and NOT the "numbers" on top of the keyBOARD.

You might just have to live with the little squares :? Good luck!

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help Moribundus. I downloaded PSPad and tried cutting and pasting, it didn't work out. I guess i'll look for another program capable of editing text and see what I come up with.

Again, thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

Make sure you converted the file to the "LF-only" (Unix-like) format before cutting and pasting (I forgot to mention the most important part :)). You should have no problems finding it in menus. I believe PSPad also has some king of hex mode (it displays characters as numbers in hexadecimal base), so you can use that mode to check how your text really looks like. If you see two characters at the end of each line, it's wrong. Also make sure lines end with LN (ascii 0x0A) and not CR (ascii 0x0D).

hth

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

So then all I have to do in order to get rid of these squares is the following:

1. Copy my new encyclopedia entry from RH to PS pad

2. Select the whole text

3. Click on format and then "unix like"

4. Select the text again

5. copy paste from PS pad to RH

I know I'm doing the thing wrong, because I still see the squares in rebellion. Any hint on what I might be doing wrong?

Basically yes, but you must be doing something wrong. First, you don't have to select the text at all. Line endings are converted in the whole file, since mixed ending in a file make no sense. You can also check in the hex view, that the text has the correct formating. Also you might want to try pasting it into a new file first and check, whether the line ending symbols have been preserved during the transaction. Experiment.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

So then all I have to do in order to get rid of these squares is the following:

1. Copy my new encyclopedia entry from RH to PS pad

2. Select the whole text

3. Click on format and then "unix like"

4. Select the text again

5. copy paste from PS pad to RH

I know I'm doing the thing wrong, because I still see the squares in rebellion. Any hint on what I might be doing wrong?

Just a guess here, but just open the encyclopedia file directly into the HEX editor. You still have to change the to a , then SAVE the file. I might have to try this myself.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I must admit that I have only a rather thin knowledge of hex, if I do. So then when I opened the hex view, all I saw was a bunch of number with no clear meaning.

What I see after clicking on format unix (lf):

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1148/1stviewqd8.th.jpg

What I see in the hex view mode:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6031/2ndviewli6.th.jpg

Eh, by the way Tex, how would you open the encylopedia file directly in the hex editor. Hum what I mean is WHAT file would you qualify as the encyclopedia, not the DLL?

Edit: I tryed to open the encytext.dll. Worked fine. but then I don't know what I should do from there to remove the squares... the problem is that I don't SEE any or 's...