Anyone up for another Mod?

Stellar_Magic

Call of Duty: Star Wars Planetary Conflict, what do you think?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Call of Duty: Star Wars Planetary Conflict, what do you think?

• Great Idea, I'd love to help!
    • Great Idea, I'm going to have to buy Call of Duty.
    • Interesting, that might be a cool thing to try
    • You must be kidding, right?

I'm kind of busy with modding for SWR but I've also got the game Call of Duty, and I've been on their mod site, which has some rather impressive stuff, but one thing struck me. There isn't a Star Wars mod! :evil:

I think there should be, I've gotten sick of the lack of realism in Star Wars games recently, and I think this would be a great place to get a more realistic squad combat Star Wars game experience.

I've seen some fo the awesome stuff you can do with scripting in the game and played around with it myself but I think you could do some awesome stuff with Star Wars and Call of Duty.

Imagine...

Crouching beside a duracrete wall with a blastech E-11 in your hands leading a squad of imperial stormtroopers. You tap your helmet and key the thermal imaging unit and can see a rebel squad moving across the open ahead. You key on your optical sensors as you signal the squad to spread out and find cover. You can see them now, a squad of twelve rebels in their camoflauged gear. You lift the Blastech to your shoulder and aim down the sight as the rest of the squad ready's their weapons, then you open fire at maximum range.

The Rebels dive for cover as the blaster bolts flash toward them, two are caught standing and are dropped to the ground their chest smoking from a dozen bolts. At maximum range the weapon's destructive power is weakened and the rebels begin to retun frie with Blastech A280s and other arms, one even fires a slugthrower.

The power meter on your blaster cuts out and you look down to realize you've emptied your power pack. Quickly you eject the pack as a bolt shots by stunningly close. You snap in another pack and frown slightly beneath your helmet, four more packs left, four hundred shots. You rise back up and open fire again as a hiss fills the air. You turn to see the ground seeming explode around one of your stormtroopers as a flechette blast hits right before him. You turn to see a rebel standing with a pistol leveled at a comrade. He fires and a hundred superheated bits of metal from the flechette pistol throw the stormtrooper back, smoke wafting from his armor.

You trigger a blast that catched the standing rebel and throws him to the ground. A blast comes in from nowhere and catches your shoulder throwing you to the ground. You try to stand as a rebel soldier scrambles over the trench. You raise your blaster and fire, killing the rebel as you hear your heart beating in your ears. Your stormtrooper visor displays your heart beat rising, and your vision starts to red out. You turn and see a rebel soldier standing, his Blastech A280 raised at you. The tunnel vision of the helmet keeps you from seeing his two comrades as you raise your blaster. Then there is the brilliant roar of blaster fire, then darkness.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Well, it all sounds good, but you could save time and simply change the damage system in Battefront. Add a few more hit-boxes (rather than two, one for the head, the other for the rest of hte body) and you're set.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Battlefront doesn't have a lot of stuff actually.

1. You can't drop prone in battlefront or lean around corners.

2. You can't really aim down the sight like in Call of Duty, you're still firing from the 'hip'.

3. The AI is considerably stupider in battlefront, it doesn't use grenades or cover.

4. You can't program in damage fall off with distance, I've seen this done with COD.

5. You can't add in some fo the really cool effects that COD is capable of. For stormtroopers you can make it so you have all the cool gadgets that come with the gear, advanced audio pickup, heat sensors, and others. You can also give the player the 'tunnel' vision that being inside such a helmet would give you.

6. Alternate modes of fire really aren't that great with battlefront, with COD you could set it up so a blastech had a really wide variety of options, stun, semi, quarter auto, half auto, full auto, with all the advantages and problems inherit with each of them, not to mention melee.

And there are other reasons...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Well, you can prone in Battlefront.

Were all stormtroopers equipped with advanced sensors in their helms? In any case, it's simply a matter of adding different weapons.

As for aiming down the barrel, if they can do it for Red Orchestra with Unreal Tournament 2003/2004, it can be done for Battlefront.

Tunnel Vision would be hard, though I haven't seen that sort of thing done with CoD.

Alternate fire modes could be programed into Battlefront, though they are already included in CoD.

Since most mods are aimed at multiplay, CoD is lacking in that area since there isn't any.

Damage fall off isn't as prominent with energy weapons, but as far as I can tell, it takes many more hits in Battlefront from a distance (without a sniper rifle that is) to kill a person. The hit boxes pose the only problem here.

The biggest advantage to CoD is that there are already modding tools out there, so you know what you can and cannot do. Battlefront doesn't have a community working on those things, so no one knows the limitations of the game.

The biggest downside to CoD is that the graphics aren't as good as those in Battlefront (I'll provide screenshots if anyone wants), and that you would have to start from scratch.

Also, look at all of the other SW mods for other games. Frankely, other than Warlords and the Imperial Assault mod (if it ever gets released!), they are terrible. Has any one ever played the Galactic Conquest mod for Battlefield 1942? GAH! Terrible! The Troopers mod for Unreal Tournament 2004, though lacking in players, sounds like what you are looking for SM. I suggest you look at it before looking at Cod

:D .

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Problem, I can't run SW Battlefront.

Damage fall off isn't as prominent with energy weapons, but as far as I can tell, it takes many more hits in Battlefront from a distance (without a sniper rifle that is) to kill a person. The hit boxes pose the only problem here.

Well, unfortunately I'm a realism freak and considering the type of energy weapon used in star wars (Ionized and superheated gas shot from a barrel) damage fall off for the weapons would be insanely pronounced. I'd guesstimate that a blaster bolt would loose all its destructive power after about fifty yards. The gas from a hand held weapon like that would diffuse rapidly in the atmosphere and the energy charge would dissipate just as well.

Actually COD has an enormous Multiplayer community, some of the multiplayer mods are the most complex I've seen that aren't TCs. They've programmed in such things as blood loss, dizzines, triping, deployable machine guns, 'cookable' grenades, and the most annoying mod I've ran into yet, the shot in the hand feature (You get hit in the hand or lower arm, and guess what, you drop your gun and have to scramble to retrieve it.)

The Tunnel Vision would be relatively simple, add a script with a simple perscreption for rebel or imp and make it so the imps always have a helmet on, or base it on the model so the effect varries from stormies, to scouts, to gunners, and ceases to exist with fleetroopers.

One thing we'd have to figure out would be what a blaster bolt sounds like if it passes close by. :?

Heck you could even script in ranks, and squad systems, the possiblities with the way COD is designed are quite variable. Heck you could even add experience modifiers to the accuracy of weapons. 8)

Signature:

I know the CoD MP community is bog... ok, huge! I said the MP community for the UT 2004 mod Troopers: Dawn of Destinty was small.

I have to qualms with CoD: first, much of what has been introduced (loosing your weapon if you get shot in the hand/gun, grenade cooking, deployable MGs, dizzines/loss of sound from explosions) was done a long time ago in the Red Orchestra mod of UT 2004. They're just playing catch-up.

I think you should take a look at the Troopers mod. It uses the UT 2004 Engine... ok, the whole bloody game, so the graphics are top nitch. They've just released a new version, so I'm waiting to see what has been added.

If you're a realism freak, CoD is hardly the best WW II game to be playing. There isn't any weapon sway for the iron sights, and the vehicles are not very realsitic. Sure, if you hit them in the back they take more damage, but what about a shot to the tracks? WHy can you run it with just one person? Red Orchestra has weapon way, a restriction on the number of people for each class (only a certain number of SMG or MG people per game), you can dissable a tank with a track shot (they can't move), and you need three people to run a tank, one of who has to be a tank commander. You can call in artilery if you are a commander, but only on certain maps, and only a certain number of times.

Ok, so that went a bit off topic, but I urge you to try both mods. Red Orchestra is hard, but it blows CoD away, and the troopers mod is the best thing of that sort you can get, though it needs a few more players.

So whats the system requirements... I had to upgrade my PC just to run COD. :x

The Iron sight's problem is easily fixed, I've done it myself, and I know that the damage thing is something fo a problem, but if you think about it, a Panzerfaust could take out a JS II with a single shot in the front there is little need for an accurate mapping of damage (With the exception of the Russian Tank level). In the game the only time you can play as a tank you're playing as the tank commander, supposedly.

In reality most tanks have a four man crew (With the exception of the Russian vehicles) and in WWII in most cases it was a five man crew.

Driver

Asst. Driver

Gunner

Loader

Commander

We're getting closer to realism, but who in the world would want to play as the loader?

Signature:

Well, Red Orchestra skipped that position, but there is a Driver, gunner (cannon), and a Commander/MGer. They also have anti-tank guns for long distance killing. I'm just extracting Troopers now, so I'll post afew screens and show it to you.

UT 2004 can run on a machine that runs CoD, though the graphics would have to be turned down a little. I'll post a few screens of RO for you too.

EDIT:Ok, maybe not. The screen shots I took are 3.51 MB. I'll have to look for another way of showing them.

I was intending to get CoD once i upgrade my PC. So if i find the time you all know i love modding. :D

Gets back to work on his rebellion mod.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Doesn't CoD use the Q3A engine ?

That'd be an awful lot of animations to rig to your models. But you could try to contact some of the guys at polycount. If it's based on Q3, they can handle it. (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/)

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Guest JediIgor

Hmm, there's so many Star Wars mods out there, and for a game that isn't too popular (Call of Duty) I fear you wouldn't have any audience by the time you actually had a beta out.

May I suggest a Star Wars mod for Half-Life 2 ? I know of several, one of which looks quite on good feet :).

Personally, I think making an FPS mod is just too much effort.. you have to spend way too much time on content to make it any fun, and even longer to make it replayable.

A star wars FPS game...sounds intriguing to me.I am forced to agree with Igor in that it might be hard to get all of it coded etc. before the game loses its popularity but nevertheless..sounds cool and good luck if you go ahead with it!
http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif