Ever find yourself doing This?

knownalien

so I am beating the game pretty good. but I can do it too quickly like many here and at the same time I don't want it to end. so what do I do?? I find myself making it easier for the opposite side to beat me by never destroying it utterly.

for example, since I was playing as the rebellion this last time I am not cool with the whole invading an Empire's planet unless it belongs to a system that is nothing but Empire. I mean, sure I have players with 200+ diplomacy points, but I really only use them for my own planets and for Coruscant (once invaded). Usually, I try not to beat the Empire too badly. And I am sad that though I loaded the "empire can make Death Star" patch I have yet to EVER see one built OR used against me. I have taken my current game to 10,000 days!

At the beginning, after I captured Coruscant (around the 3000 day mark - I like getting high on the tech trees) I sent a brand new carrack light cruiser to each empire's planet (blockade) and several ship from my current fleets. my feelings were that even if I got outmatched at a given planet I was 1) going to get a good view of what said planet had and 2) if successfully blockaded I would starve the Empire and it would suffer massive maintainence shortfalls. Once I took every last ship of theirs out and captured the Emporer (kinda happens on its own), I set about making my ideal fleets and recruiting more and Jedi trainining . . . working up a big "head start" for the next round. I built 15 fleets with all but 2 (I think) with an Admiral and Commander. This is the fleet I settled on that can pretty much handle anything the Empire would throw at me (keep in mind I only have a few more planets/systems than it does at this point with no plans to take anymore):

2 Imperial II Destroyers

4 Bulwark Battle ships

1 CC-7700 Frigate

4 Alliance Carriers

19 squads A wings & 19 squads B Wings

My reasoning

Imperial II have better firepower than Duantless cruisers; 4 Bulwarks at a minimum since the Empire can scrape a fleet of 5-6 Super Star Destroyers; CC-770 Frigate . . well, I don't like them running away, but if the tables were turned I just send everthing I can to destroy the other team's Obstructor Cruiser and then retreat! Alliance carriers are cheaper than the updated Liberated Cruiser and I don't really need them to fight unless I am realy in trouble. Since at this point in the game the Empire uses nothing but Tie Defenders, A-wings (w/ a commander) are effective, BUT the real kicker is how many B-wings I use. By the time my capital ships make it to the Empire's capital ships the B-wings have softened them up good!

one curious thing: I completely detroyed the empire's ability to fight me and orbiting every planet it had I saw that it had no Construction facilities. After I pulled all of my carrack light cruisers from the enemy planets (and regular fleet ships) to get the Empire restarted I didn't see any contruction facilities, but it was able to rebuild?!! Also, I scrapped all those carrack light cruisers and ship yards, contruction facilities, and training facilities except one giant version of each on one planet.

At this point, I can maintain a surplus of between 1000-2000 maintainence points.

p.s. I play Protectorate - The Empire Strike Back

it has rekindled my love of the game

Ok major editor user here. How do you play so well? I can't. As soon as I begin in hard mode the opponent (Even if the opponent is the alliance) They start assaulting all my planets.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

it could be luck. when playing the alliance, the empire is very disinterested in exploring systems to find energy and resources. I figure that no matter what they do, if I have sufficient systems under my control then a few blockades won't hurt me.

As for ship yards, training and contruction yards, I fing one planet and build them up there to expidite things. also, I think the more facilities you have on one planet the better the research will be on that planet (ship, manufacturing, troop).

I find a system far away ASAP and more my headquarters there.

I concentrate my fleet and fighters on one system just in case. And I keep them together . . strength in numbers until I can build more fleets.

when running sabotage missions, gor for the contruction yards first and then ship yards.

Use Luke, Leia, and Mon Motha running dimplomatic missions only!

========================================

RIGHT now I am playing at the empire. I have not been trying real hard because I want to give them the balls to try to attack Coruscant. But they won't. I am too hooked up there!

They have already abducted the Emporere once!

You know, it doesn't matter what side you play, the computer always seems to play the same. If you are the Empire, they the opposition acquires a very Empire like mentality. The Alliance will even assault planets without reguard to diplomatic levels . . . meaning the alliance is losing support but they still bomb away.

As a standard rule once I am 3000 days into is, I like to have 15 fleets. I micromanage like a devil! I manage my Garrisons manually and let the computer manage production by itslef.

Since, even as the Empire, I run Diplomatic missions so much I don't have to worry so much about Alliance bombings of my planet because I know I can just go back in, assuming they take the planet and no shields or planetary weapons are left intact, and take the planet back with the full support of the population.

While the enemy is bombarding a system, I look at what they have. The computer has recently made a big mistake. I ran into an Alliance fleet that was stacked! I had to pull two fleets together to attack it. Thing it, the alliance had a few other smaller fleets on other systems. Had the computer gone balls to the wall and assembled one big fleet, it could have taken Coruscant . . . but it didn't. Anyway, the game is the most addicting game I have ever known!

Heh. Sounds like fun. But try and reduce yourself to one sector, and then try to win by doing nothing but defending that sector.

It is hard, but possible. Sabatage missions and abductions become your best friend.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Heh. Sounds like fun. But try and reduce yourself to one sector, and then try to win by doing nothing but defending that sector.

It is hard, but possible. Sabatage missions and abductions become your best friend.

how can you do that when the other side (btw, what size galaxy, small?) can resource the rest of the galaxy?? All they need to do is station a fleet on each of my planets and starve me to death. Now, if you meant on a small sized galaxy that may work. My first small galaxy game I started last night to try my game philosophy. You must know, certainly like everyone here, that I have never lost against the computer. To me it's not how good I am but how poor the AI is. I have always wanted to play against a human.

In the scenario that I gave, I rarely run sabotage missions with characters that have 90 point diplomacy skills. But other than ship research, everyone else can do sabotage missions (don't waste training new sabotage troops). Because at the beginning they will have success, and that will increase their sabotage and combat skills. Now, to make it even better, go to where you know there are no troops stationed. But worst case scenario just sabotage mines and refineries.

One sector, huh?

Hell, the other day (in the [lg. galaxy] game I am in but I didn't save what I am about to tell you) I built a Death Star and went into a sector with a fleet to accompnay it. My fleet is as follows:

2 SSD

2 Imperial II Destroyers

2 Imperial Nova Detroyers

2 Carriers

1 Inerdictor Cruiser

2 Suppressor Cruisers

So I go into the Corellian Sector and Star blowing up planets. As I do this, sectors around the galaxy start turning on me even though I had FULL support (full green bar)! By the time the Corellian Sector is rubble I have nearly half of my planets under revolt and my available maintainance points are -6000+!!!!! NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Then I went into a sector controlled wholly by me to see if I could scare them back in line so I blew up one of my own systems. Bad idea!!!

This game is more addicting than any drug. Thank god it is easy to beat. If it was harder to, I'd never get off the computer!

lol

You must have had to scrap most of your military machine to even out your maintenance income. Surely you knew how destroying planets reduced core system popular support. I rarely build Death Stars as I prefer Kaiser class SSD's with Victory or Victory II's. You can build 3 or 4 Kaisers for the same price as the DS. If I do build a Death Star I rarely use the superlaser instead using it's immense standard firepower and pacifying effect on rebel supporting planets.- Grand Moff Conway

You must have had to scrap most of your military machine to even out your maintenance income. Surely you knew how destroying planets reduced core system popular support. I rarely build Death Stars as I prefer Kaiser class SSD's with Victory or Victory II's. You can build 3 or 4 Kaisers for the same price as the DS. If I do build a Death Star I rarely use the superlaser instead using it's immense standard firepower and pacifying effect on rebel supporting planets.- Grand Moff Conway

I just tried it for the hell of it. I am kinda miffed that even though the "empire can build the DS" patch, they don't build.

Yes that is a pain. Since I never play as the rebels I don't have to worry about it, but the AI does leave a little to be desired. I have tried mods and still don't get an aggressive battle very often. But this is my all time favorite game followed by Panzer General II and Imperialism II.-Grand Moff Conway

well, I have such a big heart. I have only a few more planets in the whole galaxy than the Alliance had. I had amassed the biggest fleets. I have detroyed every last one of their contruction yards, training facilities, and ship yards. I had captured their headquarters. I was blockading the two planets where luke and monmotha were. I short: total domination. Hell, even wedge antilles was killed somehow!

So, I get to thinking with all of their planets blockaded with a measly corellian corvette, let me get my things in order and move back to coruscant. By "order," I mean doing a few more diplomacy missions to my planets that have the tiniest bit of alliance red in them. Also, maintain one planet dedicated to a shipyard, contruction facility, and training facility (that's 3 planets) and stacked so that they work quick.

DONE!

Then I mothball the fleet. You heard me. Except for the impreza. I need that to take my dark jedi around the galaxy doing stuff. You know what I want. I removed all of the blockading ships and scrapped them! I didn't want this to end! They were free to do what they wanted . . well those that weren't prisoners anyway.

But they didn't. Know why?? They didn't have a contruction yard. Well, how could I give them one? how about I take a system in whose sector it was the only one I owned anyway and put construction facilities then bomb the hell out of it so that it goes neutral then to the Alliance side!

BINGO!

I have built a couple of big ships for bombarding purposes but nothing. Before I know it they are trying to take sessweena sectors (or which they already controlled 4. They are showing their hand and even blockaded Coruscant for a while but they didn't have the troops to invade. I could see they went with Bulwarks right away. I panicked.

THEN!

I pulled the biggest best fleet out of my but. Here was what was in it:

50 Imperial Carriers

carrying 200 squads - Tie Defenders

Carrying 200 squads - Tie Bombers

One Interdictor Cruiser

With 200 squads of bombers going at a Bulwark cruiser, it takes about 10 seconds to detroy it. NICE!

I guess my goal is to play until every character that can die does. I also want to keep the systems I have but take no more. I am curious if it will evetually just give up??

I know chew, han, luke, leia, and mon motha can't die, but who else???

I am nearly at the 11,000th day. I run it almost exclusively at fast time. ALL of my people are on Coruscant. I have nothing but a few troops on all the other planets. So unfortunately of Luke tries to come to Coruscant then it is all over. I can't "let" prisoners go. The closest thing to that it having them already on a ship then blockading one of THEIR systems and then scrapping the ship. If it if the only ship, they are almost sure to escape.

There is nothing more satisfying than rendering he Rebellion even more inept by killing off all of their leaders, and capturing all of thier main characters. I might just have to start up another game...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

alright, I am at day 19000!!!

though they have ship yards, they aint attacking. here is who is prisoner:

ackbar

garm

han

jan

Leia

mothma

vanden

killed:

adar

borsk

drayson

huoba

kanor

ozzel

sadead

wedge

The Empire only has Jerjerrod dead.

Who is Kanor and Sadead? And Ozzel is an imperial character not an alliance character.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

In my gameworld Imperial characters cannot defect or become traitors. I feel that with stormtroopers on board of every vessel it would be too hard for an officer to turn sides without getting caught. And Boba Fett (my card) would naturally side with the money which during the Timeset for Rebellion is after Yavin but before Hoth wouldd be the Empire. Many of the characters in my game are cards with backgrounds related to me as Grand Moff Conway. Thus being loyal to me they backed me in my bid to be Emperor after Palpatines death. -Grand Moff Conway

I am nearly at 70,000 days.

I have everyone either dead or captured on the other team. Only Narra, Luke, and Chewie are unknown to me.

curious though. as this game goes, it doesn't "discover" nearly as many resources as natural disasters happen.

I have found that, though I control a little over half the galaxy, I have had to act like I am on a budget even though I try to keep the 1:1 ratio of mines/refineries intact and to boot I keep mines only where there are available resources.

I now have my ideal fleet left to defend Coruscant. It is a measly 50 carriers chalk full of as many defenders and bombers as that gets me. For some reason my intelligence informs me that the Alliance seems to only want to build big. It can afford 7-10 bulwark cruisers. It would defeat me if it would buid a fleet like my own since one for one alliance fighters will always prevail.

I just let this thing run all night since I don't expect an assault on Coruscant. It's like the computer AI has given up.

man!

Did he get captured while you were sleeping?

no. today I was up and noticed that they had built the same stupid useless fleet for my single fleet (and mind you I had to downsize drastically). And I sent my dark jedis over to the fleet for some espionage work. they got captured. i invested a lot of time in those jedis. i sent everything i had to get them back. somehow in the battle, though luke was never listed as being there, I captured him. I already had monthma and had already taken their head quarters.

I am thinking about starting it over from right before this happened (which I saved and have) and not confronting the Allliance fleet. But I KNOW they aren't going to budge anyway.

This is what I mean when I talk about the faulty AI. I would pay $100 to have a computer that thought like a human.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, how did it end up.???

I don't know how you've got the patience to play a game that long :roll:

I bow to your superior use of the Force in playing so long 8O

If you want to see DS's and have a REAL challenge, play Multiplayer. The game goes into Hyperdrive against a human opponent, although no one wants to play with me at the moment :cry:

You have failed me for the last time.

Yeah, how did it end up.???

I don't know how you've got the patience to play a game that long :roll:

I bow to your superior use of the Force in playing so long 8O

If you want to see DS's and have a REAL challenge, play Multiplayer. The game goes into Hyperdrive against a human opponent, although no one wants to play with me at the moment :cry:

I have always wanted to play multiplayer. let me know how because I never have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scathane
In my gameworld Imperial characters cannot defect or become traitors. I feel that with stormtroopers on board of every vessel it would be too hard for an officer to turn sides without getting caught. And Boba Fett (my card) would naturally side with the money which during the Timeset for Rebellion is after Yavin but before Hoth wouldd be the Empire. Many of the characters in my game are cards with backgrounds related to me as Grand Moff Conway. Thus being loyal to me they backed me in my bid to be Emperor after Palpatines death. -Grand Moff Conway
You're a bit of a narcist, aren't you? :wink: