Adding Ranks

Krow88

Newbie question.

Is it possible to add ranks via ResHack to those possible for the characters, i.e. Captain, Major, Colonel, Lieutenant, etc.? Not necessarily all of them, but one or two?

One, Two, all of them, whatever!

There is a document in the downloads section which will tell you more about the exact location of the strings you need to edit (as I can't remember right now).

Welcome aboard!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/RiesstiuIV/Krempel/trapaure.gif

Easy! Use Resource Hacker (in downloads section somewhere) to open up the textstra.dll folder, the individual rank titles for each character you can change begin at about 2309 in the string table.

You can subsequently give Thrawn the title of 'Grand Admiral' etc.

Any changes tend to screw up if you load saved setting however, so be carefull! :)

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

So this applies to adding, not necessarily modifying? I mean, I got most of the details for modifying from other topics and threads, which I should have clarified.

I've tried thinking of a possible way to add titles and ranks to characters rather than just changing "Commander" to "Captain". But unless I'm overlooking a loophole, those ranks would be blanked out since there's only the three slots available (Admiral, General, Commander) in RebEd and such. That's what I was getting at. If that's at all possible, a little bit of help as to how to deal with that would be much appreciated.

So this applies to adding, not necessarily modifying? I mean, I got most of the details for modifying from other topics and threads, which I should have clarified.

I've tried thinking of a possible way to add titles and ranks to characters rather than just changing "Commander" to "Captain". But unless I'm overlooking a loophole, those ranks would be blanked out since there's only the three slots available (Admiral, General, Commander) in RebEd and such. That's what I was getting at. If that's at all possible, a little bit of help as to how to deal with that would be much appreciated.

The bottom line is what I pointed a above is that you can provide any rank/title you want to any character whatsoever.

If you go a few entries before what I stated you probably can rename basic ranks. I've never bothered to try it, but it's basic script and must work. So let us know.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• 2 months later...
Guest Scathane
Interesting option! If you then make him General, does he get that rank as well?

• 6 months later...

Right now I'm in the mist of character development for my own TC. I wish there were ways of adding new ranks. I've been editing the TEXSTRA.DLL (changing personnel, changing their command titles, etc.), so I've been doing research all day on characters, getting info and trying to find good pictures to use (ones from the expanded universe that i couldn't cap from the dvds) so i can develop my encyclopedia entries and make my own EData bitmaps.

Adding new ranks instead of just changing the titles of the characters would be fantastic, but you can't add them just like you can't add characters. If you could, there would be a hundred characters on each side with high admirals, vice admirals, majors, colonels, captain, lieutenants, and even sergeants and corporals running around and holding different ranks at different bases. The problem is that Admiral, General, and Commander have overall effects on military units. These effects are part of the programming that can't be hacked. So, that leaves us with just changing the Command Names in ResHack. So your Grand Admiral Thrawn and Major Derlin are just going to act like ordinary admirals and generals as far as the game is concerned, but at least it kinda looks cool to have more ranks for certain personnel than that game actually allow for :)

Interesting option! If you then make him General, does he get that rank as well?

Basically you can alter the various aspect of the ranks for individuals. So you could start with : -

Wing Commander Thrawn - commander

Moff Thrawn - general

Grand Admiral Thrawn - admiral

these can be changed for all the characters in the game via the resource hacker program.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2350/darth1b3bu.jpg

Visit the forums > The Galactic Core Forums