SW fighters

Rattler3

Me and my Friend are having this argument.

And that is are Fighters in SWR under or overrated.

He says that they're already overpowered...

I'm arguing they should be at least twice as strong, if not more.

When you look at the X-Wing series, 150 torps was enough to do an incredible amount of damage to an SSD

25 or so Torps can strip a VSD of shields.

So in theory, shouldn't even a single squadron of X-Wings be able to do some serious damage? I mean, because they have unlimited torps, it would make sense they do less damage. But still, i think 2-3 X-Wing squadrons should be able to do some serious damage to a VSD

he doesn't even agree that 6 X-wing squadrons should be able to DAMAGE an ISD... I think they should damn well kill it. 150 torps or so... in the FIRST volley would wipe it away.

So i just wanted to see who was closer to being right.

Thanks!

I agree. 1 squad of X-Wings is a pretty powerful force, able of dealing considerable damage. IIRC, in an X-Wing novel, a handful of X-Wings were enough to kill a Carrack cruiser with a volley of torps. Having 3 or 4 squads of X-Wings flying around a cruiser dealing no noticable damage to its shields while it -slooowly- kills them is simply ridiculous.

Using RebEd, I divided the fighter forces into half squads while considerably boosting their firepower, speed and maneuverability. That way there were more little dots flying around in major engagements, looking nicer, and they were a lot more deadly, 4 squads of Y-wings and a group of 6 B-Wings pounding an ISD to pieces (with heavy losses, though) while the X-Wings held off the TIES.

The big problem with SW:R fighters, rebel ones in particular, is that they don't fire their torps until the enemies' shields are down already, so a cap ship's shields must be taken down with superior laser firepower first, so no torp volleys into an SD's shields, unfortunately.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/RiesstiuIV/Krempel/trapaure.gif

I think that the fighters are the way they are for balance. A squadron of bombers does noticable damage while fighters do little or no damage simply because the designers felt that fgithers weren't meant to be used agains capitol ships. Compared to the novels, however, they are extreemely underpowered.

That said, I think that in the novels they make the fighters too strong. Proton torpedos weren't meant to be used against capitol ships, and therefor are not as strong. Capitol ship shields are stronger (that is, they can take more damage per percent than fighter shields), so much so that only heavy weapons, which can only be loaded into fighters in small quantities, can damage them. The damage a torpedo does vs. that of a space bomb or rocket should be minimal, if anything. I'm not saying 150 torps shouldn't do any damage, but if you consider what they were developed for, they should only reduce an ISD's shields to about 80%. Just my view.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I consider the Torps were developped for use against fighters but also against capitols. Since you wouldn't need that much power for a simple fighter.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

A Proton Torpedo is designed as an anti-capital ship weapon, sure it can be used against fighters, but not as well. Thats why A-wing, Tie Defenders, Z-95s, and all sorts of other vessels carry Concussion Missiles, they're much more of an anti-starfighter weapon.

Now if GAT considers starfighters that overpowered pehaps he should consider the nature of the Rebellion. They didn't have any capital ships at first, if your logic is correct, it would have been impossible for the rebellion to even get off the ground.

Proton Torpedoes were created for use against capital ships, its that simple, and therefore, they should have adequat punch to kill those same cap ships.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

My question is when were the proton torpedoes created? If they were created before the rebellion, during the Republic, the shielding of those ships was not as strong as those used during the time of the Empire, and so the use of proton torpedoes as anti-capitol ship weapons is feasible. However, if they were created during the republic, they would not be as effective agains the capitol ships of the Galactic Civil War, which would explain why we most commonly see them being used against fighters in the EU, and rarely as the primary means of destroying a capitol ship.

This is all speculation, but I feel it makes sence since the heavy rocket was developed which, from my experience, does significantly more damage than a proton torpedo.

I also don't feel that my assessment of the Alliance fighters beeing too stron is off the mark. From what we see in the movies they can't do much damage to capitol ships. Also, the X-Wing wasn't developed by the Rebels, nor was it around when the Rebellion began. It was taken to the Rebels by Incom when they defected to the rebels, so there was no thought placed into it fighting capitol ships,

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

My guess is the torp was develloped during the republic since Anakin's Naboo Starfighters has some. But i also guess like with most weapons it was modified to fight larger ships.

Capitol ships shielding gets better, torps are made to pack more punch. Torps are made to pack more punch, capitol ships sheilds improve.

Its a painfull cycle.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Guest JediIgor

I'm sure they have upgrades proton torpedoes over the years, it's not like we're still using the same bullets as 200 years ago after all :).

I think the problem with Rebellion is that you never see the fighters using torpedoes, at least I haven't. They're always firing lasers on the screen, :-\. It would make more sense if it was more like HW where the fighters had a limited salvo of proton torps though! :)

Yah, they are the little white lines. Kinda sad that they cant be used until after the sheilds are gone.
I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Any one here ever played TIE fighter???

The Mistle boat... thats what this game needs. Attomatic load out of concussion mistles, one lazer bank, SLAMs, and oh yeah, optional loadour of move Concussion missles, Advanced cuncussion or Proton, regular proton, and the Imps equivelant of JA-DAM bombs, close fire release for strict capital ship attacks.

Man, fire the slams, dumb launch some JA-DAMs, and its Bye bye Capital ship, hello salvage crue.

War is the continuation of politics by other means...

X-Wing, Tie Fighter, XWing vs Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance are some of the best sw games. And most of the ships in them would be usefull ion a eventual rebellion2.

Yeah, and thats another thing... they need more fighters, and capital ships. There should be a few of the key ships from the Games, like the Meliniu Falcon, Fayars Flag Ship from JO, with a one build limit. They could give your fleet bonisus like faster speed or something.

Where are the Z-95 Headhunters? Where are the TIE Avengers? Where are the Gamma shuttles??? DONDE ESTAN?????

War is the continuation of politics by other means...

Tie Fighter was one of the most fun games I ever played. I loved that game, the missle boat would be a crucial addition to any game or movie for that matter. I personally like the TIE DEfender though. Cant beat that.