How is Rebellion (my fave game) still so popular...?!

SonofThrawn

sorry if u've had this thread before, but can some please explain to me

a) how is Star Wars Supremacy, such a simple game, still so massively popular after all this time?

and

b) how come lucas arts haven't realised this and bought out a new official game?

is it everyone else's favourite game too?!

also!

Is it based on the graphic novel LAST COMMAND?

Guest JediIgor

a) Probably because of the little community we have here, as well as Revolution releasing an editor for us back in the days. The more we live with it, the more we hack the game, and now we can even replace the movies, models, etc! :D

b) LucasArts realizing anything..? Their last few games have been a series of flops, they are doing strictly consoles now, don't expect them to realize anything. I have a plan to make Rebellion 2 somehow, but this will be taking years since personally I can't even begin organizing anything until I get accepted into a college :-).

One other thing is that people like Mask (those who i have foirgotten please forgive me) who make great tutorals which makes moding the game terribly easy. When i first arrived on the site a few months ago I knew nothing about card making or 3d graphics. And now... well i am making a mod.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

• 2 weeks later...
Don't forget the game's plain good!

Simple, and to the point.

Ture it is to the point but not close enough to reality :D

In reality it is to good a game to put into words so plane good is just to much of an understatment! :wink:

-"The major is a good man means well and works hard. Undortunatly, he would not be able to get a clue if he went out into a field full of horny clues during clue mating season , smeared his naked body with clue musk, and danced the ritual clue mating dance."-

-"Now there's an image I'd really have preferred you'd kept to yourself."-

How did that double post happen? I was here not thirty seconds ago and there was only one post, now there are two? I thought that the time limit between posts would eliminate such a thing from happening...

Also, has any one noticed the short answer some people have been giving, often stating the obvious (not aimed at you Canno, just in general). I though the spam thing was agreed upon twenty or so threads ago...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I think this game is so good because its relaxing to play.

To me its sort of like listening to classical music. Its familar and yet complex enough that it still keeps your interest because you can always enjoy elmements in it that you see all the time.

Like the other day my finding Lando to be a Jedi, that game became so much fun as I tried to develope that character to Jedi Knight.

I think I'll be playing this game for many years to come even as newier and flashier SW games come out because its still fun for me :lol:

I think this game is so good because its relaxing to play.

To me its sort of like listening to classical music. Its familar and yet complex enough that it still keeps your interest because you can always enjoy elmements in it that you see all the time.

Like the other day my finding Lando to be a Jedi, that game became so much fun as I tried to develope that character to Jedi Knight.

I think I'll be playing this game for many years to come even as newier and flashier SW games come out because its still fun for me :lol:

Put perfectly my new friend. Exactly. There's only so much 'rushing around shooting at things,' my brain can personally take, certainly not at the end of a long day mellowed with a few ales or a nice bottle of Melot.

Given also we can do so much with the game from what it was originally, balanced with the fact there isn't a Star Wars title that comes close in concept, I guess I we at least will be playing the game for a good few more years!

But this is a very valid point; the game is now old and completely unsupported by it's developers. Sure I don't play it night and day, but it sure as hell has remained on my HD longer than anyother title; graphic woo-har or what-not. I guess it must unlock/allow/enable some Star Wars imagination-buzz or something...that nothing else available on the market does. It's damn fun creating battle fleets whilst deploying one's wits to control the galaxy!

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

the game is great. just think about it trenchard. 1998. can you imagine?

i have never heard of any game surviving popularity for so long. except doom and quake.

:oops:

the game is most amazing in how it can maintain my interest. and that is not easy for moi. and yes, indeed, rebed and the various faqs released or announced on this site have only made it more superior of a game.

:arrow: that is all i have to say my dear friends

Well, the point with is that every other game has a storyline.

Because rebellion hasn't got a storyline you are not restricted in your actions (example: Killing a character and by doing that screwing up your entire game( --> Morrowind) or an undefeatable opponent)

By the way Sith_lord (my brother-in-law and a community member for about 3 years now) sends his greetings to you all.

(the poor guy lost his password and is still trying to retrieve it :P)

I have the true answer... ITS STAR WARS!!!

Star Wars has one of the biggerst cult following of any venture to date, and there are veen special types of Nerds for it (i am proud to call my self one)

Keep in mind, that due to its age, we are but a small fraction of people who play it, as most video games as old as this loose all internet support. I would bet that there a tons of people content to lay a smack down against a computer, and not even look for communities like this.

War is the continuation of politics by other means...

Guest Scathane
Thats true. When i played Wolfenstein 3D and Dark Forces I enjoyed myself much more than when playing more recent games.
That's quite understandable. You should realize that there were less games and those games were more thrilling because they were the first in their genre.

Mad, you have been missing out man. Dark Forces was an awesome game. I still think it is one of, if not the best, FPS's ever made. That was such an awesome game, I really wish I could play it again, is there anywhere I could freeware it legally?

No Lucasarts are renowned to never release their games as freeware. I got a pack for 5 dollars with: Dark Forces, X-Wing and Rebel Assault I. The problem with those games is that they are so old that you need an emulator to make them work. Dark Forces and X-Wing can work without emulation i think but you have to use tricks to make them work with XP. But Dark Forces IS one of the best FPS ever made. Much better than Jedi Academy.

One of the basic ideas of game design is to put the game together so that the person playing it can 'tell themselves a story'.

I believe that SWR is the absolute ultimate in doing that.

Every game is different to such a degree that you can remember specific times that Lando or some other minor character became the key to swing the war into your favor, or even the old favorites doing something truly extraordinary that you'll never forget.

I believe that is why the game has such staying power...It's been my favorite game since I started playing it. I also found a review article on 'games we loved from the past that nobody makes anymore' and SWR was number 6 of 20. On that list were games such as the Commodore 64 M.U.L.E. and others like that, that were so simple and so good, but nobody wants to make anymore because they can't put an explosion on the cover of the box.

The biggest complaint about this game (and why it's not one of the most popular games of all time) is that the interface was really bad. WE stuck it out and can get through it easily, but there are plenty of ways to have made it much simpler. If it would have been easy to play though, I'm not sure we'd have appreciated it as much. So there's the conundrum....

In the end, SWR is truly the best ROLEPLAYING game ever invented. I say roleplaying because you truly roleplay the person making all of the tactical decisions. While you don't get to talk to anyone, that is not 'roleplaying'....roleplaying is when you take on the role and do it.

This is my first post on this website, but I felt strongly enough to put my two cents in as to why I thought it had such staying power and is so loved by those who 'get it'.

Emm...

Well hats off to you dude for stating why this is now essentially a cult game for good reasons!

I have said it before, but what other SW title allows the player to emass fleets, rename ships, and quite frankly soldier virtually into a new tale with every game than rebellion?

Aside FPS, not much else has every come close to loosing oneself in the SW universe. This site has enabled the original thrill to blast the game into ten years of completely unexspected new life! Cards, models, gameplay, etc. :)

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Guest Scathane
I also found a review article on 'games we loved from the past that nobody makes anymore' and SWR was number 6 of 20.
Where did you find this?

BTW: welcom to our community, dude!

Aside FPS, not much else has every come close to loosing oneself in the SW universe. This site has enabled the original thrill to blast the game into ten years of completely unexspected new life! Cards, models, gameplay, etc. Smile

We would have to thank Revolution for creating RebEd without which it would be much more complicated to change stuff.

I remember the day when I found Revelutions site with the Rebed on it I was so happy. Soon thereafter I found the Rebed Card Guild and met up with a bunch of cardmakers who gave me tips. I remember those early days well. Igor was a youngling back then now he is a site owner. Time marches on.-Grand Moff Conway