Patch v.30 installation issues

foggydsp

Hey guys, I have run the .exe install for this patch and it is not running. It crashes to the desktop when I try to start a game. I have updated Homeworld 2 to version 1.1. Any ideas???

Target:

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe" -mod WARLORDSV0.30.Big -luatrace -overrideBigFile

Start in:

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Bin\Release"

I suggest getting rid of everything from -;uatrace on. I've never bothered to add that to my shortcut target line, and it works fine for me. Ifthat doesn't work, just be sure the installer didn't create a folder in the Homeworld 2 folder called Homeworld2 (ie. C:\Program Files\Homeworld2\Homeworld2). If that doesn't work, reinstall the whole mod.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Try lowering some of the graphic details a bit. Shadows makes things look extra nice when you zoom in, but it doesn't really add to gameplay, so you can turn them off. Also try runnig it on 1024x768. If that runs, up the rez one more. If you're not even running at 1024 to begin with, drop it below that.

Other than that, make sure you're using the Star WArs maps as they tend to be more reliable with this version of the mod than he regualr Homeworld 2 maps. Also, be sure that you don't have your settings too cheap (ie, lots of RU injections and lump sums. Not only may this cause your crashing, but you'll end up with a major -RU ammount half way through the game, meaning you can't build anything). Hope one of these works :)

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• SWR Staff - Executive
the luatrace lines and the others are so that you can send me debuging information :P but i've had a few people that have had problems with the patch, afaik its because the patch did not extract to the proper directory, make sure that you have data\ships etc and not data\data\ships or the like. (its normally the user extrated the patch to the wrong directory)

OK so far nothing has worked. I have checked and doubled checked the directories .... they are ok ... everything seems to be in place.

I have tried running it in the lowest rez possible 800x600 ... I turned off the shadows ... and left all the options on the game as the standard ones ... still nothing!

I am running out of options here I guess... :( Is there a special way to start the game that I am not doing. I select V.30 Beta from the drop down of player vs CPU and then select a map ... and then hit go ... and then it dumps me...???

I've run into the same thing. The game crashes when it gets to the load icons part. The unmodded game runs fine on my system. One thing I did notice is that even with the star wars gametype (and any map) selected, my choice of race is still the homeworld ones. I would love to try this mod out and give feedback, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks

I have same problems. First time when i install mod there was only two rases,when i reinstal there is ok( imp and rebs show up). But steel it's crashed when log scripts. Btw in normal game i now have also chose 4 rases but it's crash also if i chose imp ore rebs. Any solution???

No this mod doesn't work with V1.0 of HW2 it's a scarr issue or something like that. To your other problems i suggest you make a copy of your stock game (HW2) and paste it into the sierra part of the directory and name it SWW and then direct the installers to install to that. It could look like this for example

C:\Program Files\Sierra\SWW

I hope this helps you guys

No Archibald you cannot fly me home! Especially because that which you are sitting in is a tin foil covered, card board box.

This just eliminates any problems you may have with the mod and will save reinstalling the stock HW2 everytime something goes wrong. I do it myself saves time and effort but not HDD space :P
No Archibald you cannot fly me home! Especially because that which you are sitting in is a tin foil covered, card board box.

Did a fresh install of everything. (It was time to reload my computer anyway, so fresh win xp, fresh homeworld II patched, and fresh install of mod and exactly the same problem.)

From what I read of your post Stormfury, Do I understand correctly that what you suggest would not actually have any effect on my problem, just stop any problems with the mod interfering with my regular game?

Has anyone encountered my problem and actually gotten past it? It almost seems like I must be missing something easy or obvious, but what, I have no idea.

To majic. What is your HDD formatted as? FAT32 or NTFS? if it is FAT32 you will want to change it to NTFS although i've no real idea what is causing your problem it's just an idea if what you say is correct and the crashes on load of a game. keep posting and we'll keep trying to help.

storm...

hey majic, i also have the same problem as you do...

ermm about this .big file, are you guys talking about the homeworld.big or is it something else? cause thats all i've got in my folder besides the other redunant ones.

NTFS. I do appreciate the help folks. The original game type (HW2) plays fine, somethings just not working right for the mod. Dunno, maybe I'll have to wait for the next release. Maybe, like I said earlier, I'm just missing something simple. One thing I have not seen no matter what I try is an option for Empire or Rebel.

Perhaps if you got some1 to install it for you using remote desktop which might eliminate any self error whilst installing and make sure that the shortcute is correct.

So, since I have 1 hard drive right now ( C: ), and HW2 is in the default directory, what should the shortcut read?

the target on mine reads:

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe" -mod WARLORDSV0.30.Big -luatrace -overrideBigFile

I have a feeling that this may be it. Any thoughts?

This is my Target that i created myself

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\SWW\Bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe" -mod WARLORDSV0.30.Big -luatrace -overrideBigFile

and this is the start in box

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\SWW\Bin\Release"

SWW is there because i copied the original hw2 and renamed it SWW i have several mods for hw2 and the stock game so it's easier and tidier.