The 'How to make this mod run AND look good' thread.

Can you make this mod run and look good at the same time?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Can you make this mod run and look good at the same time?

• Yes
    • No, but i try so hard and wish it would
    • I don't even try to play this mod because my computer would just fry

Wow! 504 torps, I dare not try that it'll prolly make my PC blow up :P However that would be cool to watch, I think i'll upload a few shots of my torp sphere missles impacting on a destroyer or frigate can't remember which now. It looks good neway infact I think I'll post one here (it was running at about 3fps though thats why it's here sry if it causes an inconveenience though feel free to remove it if you deem it necessary). Edited by stormfury_2
No Archibald you cannot fly me home! Especially because that which you are sitting in is a tin foil covered, card board box.

Great shot stormfury_2! Looks awesome!

P.S. It's a Eidolon Strike Cruiser

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

LOL it seems as though my host didn't like all those people viewing it so i think i'll host it on my webspace once i figure out how if you want i could set up a mini site with user shots updated about once a week let me know on your thoughts first though please :D

storm...

No Archibald you cannot fly me home! Especially because that which you are sitting in is a tin foil covered, card board box.

All of my big fights...i play up to cruisers with High Fighter count. Shadows off i believe and all those A's are off as well. Never get lag, forgot what my specs are on my comp but they are over 2 years old and I still have hour long battles with reinforcement always flowing in untill i become like 2trillion RU in debt...thats when i usually lose...but anyways try that out and see if it works.

• 3 months later...

lol u guys need to get new grafics cards i got half of tatoonie filled up with ships 6 of those were executors i did it for some screens didnt take that long ither cause i made a lot of x-11 and x-9. no lag or lessening in graphic quality even when fighting and the grafics were up to max. might be that my pc has well of course the new nvidia and 10 yes i say 10 gigs of ram o suck it multi processers. my pc is costum made it was 11k and it is massive plasma screen with 9.1 digital surrounds sound humongo sub with a leather cushion chair.

1 more thing u someone said 3d planets i dont get planets hell i only get with i think all the starwars maps the same thing. o ya and 786k connection.

"There is no try, there is only do or do not." ex jedi grandmaster Yoda.

LOL you have too much money and too little sense imo really, if i can run the mod fairly well on a 3 yr old system whats the need to invest in something that ridiculous although if it were given to me i wouldn't say no but alass it wont be so i'll stick with good old trust hardware and just OC when i need to go that little bit further oh and one other thing....no games in this world as of yet need 10 gigs of ram to run gee thats just stupid....

• SWR Staff - Executive

heh well also HW2 doesn't support multithreading or hyperthreading, so multiprocessor is useless (though you could place system tasks on one processor and devote another to HW2) and on the ram, assuming you have either A) a MP xeon system with the idiotic hack job memorey expander that is slow as hell (good for databases and servers, bad for everythign else), or B) a opteron, which unless you're running under linux can't use more than 4 gig of ram in windows anyway you blew money on a machine unless you are running it for something else useful, its like the guy that drives an expensive heavy duty SUV and never actually uses for anythign other than going to the store, its a pointless expenditure to satisfy an ego.

however you have to realize that as the developer of this mod, I can't afford anything more than my 3 year old machine, a 1.3 ghz with a ti4200 so I'm glad you can throw money away on something that will be obsolete yesterday, but bragging is just stupid

Hey go eville i totally agree!!! Theres no need to be snobbish about something because you think you're better than everyone else it's just unnecessary.

totally agree with ya there. Also i dont see anybody else here making fantastic mods. Plus you dont need to upgrade your computer m8. Donate the money to evillejedi so he can continue his fantastic work on his mod (maybe a publisher will notice eventualy like they did recently with desert combat and give you some developers to help you along)

Jacen Solo: "What happened to the war?"

Pellaeon: "It went away."

That, and he said he had 6 Executors. Even on the highest unit limit, you can't have that many Super Caps.

10 gig of RAM, eh? So, where did you find A) two sticks of 5 gig a piece, or B) a mother board with 10 RAM slots? Having a plasma screen is also useless since they have a lower resolution than an LCD. Plasma was developed for TV, not computeres. For example, a 42' Plasma Monitor is limited to 852x480 resolution. With that, I could run pretty much any game with full graphics. 9.1 surround doesn't exits. 7.1 is the current max, with 6.1 being the standard since only the Star Wars movies use 6.1.

Next you'll be telling us your running two Intel 5.6 GHz processors:lol: .

No need to attempt to impress any one here. If you can run the mod fairly well, goo, you can enjoy larger battles than some. If you can't, you get to know the joys of controling a small fleet, playing the Captain rather than the Admiral. But comming in here and giving us rediculous PC stats like that is simply insulting. We're not idiots, we know what is and isn't possible.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• SWR Staff - Executive
actually I think 9.1 is an emulation mode, I've heard about it being discussed, but the plasma screen is a good point, its got to look godawful for anything other than movies (I was so foucused on the other fantasy PC parts and discounting them I didn't even pay attention)

• SWR Staff - Executive
really? I've seen the game on an Athlon64 at a lower clock and with less supporting hardware and it was ticking along fine with multiple cruisers and a few super caps (no fighters though)

I wouldn't be surprised if the 64-bit architecture is responsible for that. Looking at the game, I could imagine all the calculations that are required and the 64-bit arch would handle it a lot better compared to a 32-bit.

I've got an Athlon 64bit 3000+, 1 Gig Kingmax RAM (PC3200) and a Radeon 9800 pro Extreme (faster RAM for a crap brand) and I get the slide show effect if I leave the build restriction to normal and reach the max for everything (as does my AI opponent) and we battle. Prior to the battle it's around 10-20 fps.

I've started to play TaskForce mode now, which is pretty cool - and it was only when I'd maxed out everything and my two AI opponents were fighting that my frame rate dropped noticably.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif