Star Wars Cantina

tchar

"That's the other thing", Alex brought up as he motioned for another drink. "I might be a little more comfortable with the hero-worship Skywalker garners had he NOT been a Jedi, or on his way to being one, when he won at Yavin."

Alex took a deep breath, and a long pull on his drink, before he went on; the subject he was about to raise was most certainly not a popular one these days.

"Has anybody given any thought to how far Skywalker should be trusted? I don't know the man personally, of course, so it's hard to judge too much, but like I said, I've been trained to look at things historically."

"Right now, one man stands alone as the single most powerful Force user in the galaxy. That man is a popular hero, and is seen as the pivotal force in restoring order to a galaxy-gone-chaotic. This man ALSO has the ear and attention of every member of the Republic's heirarchy."

"The last time the galaxy saw an immensely popular, immensly powerful, well-connected Force user, some madman created a superweapon and blew up two planets, well on his way to a third...something to think about, at least."

"I...I don't believe it!"

"THAT is why you fail."

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If they is one thing Skywalker deserves it's trust. Believe me I know him and he's one of the most trusting people I know. And he's not one to misplace trust or not give credit where it's due. And believe me the whole Jedi thing, total edge for piloting, trust me, I know, but the fact that unforced attunted pilots like Antillies and Celchu, just add to the fact that anyone could've done what Skywalker did. But the fact is Skywalker did it. End of story.

"It's not my fault!"

"Oh yeah? What's in it for me?"

Tython looked at Ulic while finishing his ale and said "Luke can be trusted but on many occasions I have heard of him joining the darkside and then later overcoming the evil inside him to become a jedi again. So basically I trust Luke now beacuse he has seen what the darkside is like and he has rejected it. Its almost like he has super strong titanium protecting his heart. I dont think I would have trusted him before he was tested but I most definetly do now." Tython said loyally.

"I doubt that a man that spent his earlier and mid 20s fighting the greatest evil in the galaxy would simply forget all that has happened and become a second Palpatine. Especially after the sacrifices he made.

"I have full confidence in Luke, and trust him as well. I think he's one of the few I can say that about these days and still mean it. Even with the Empire crumbling - there are those in the Rebellion positioning themselves for a seat of power."

A flicker of sadness past through Karn as he imagined another fatally flawed goverment rising to take the Empire's place.

"Perhaps it will take another, greater evil to finally get things right in this galaxy? Oh well, if Luke restores the Jedi order - and we keep the lessons of the past at hand, we shouldn't have to worry about any Palpatine wannabes ever again.

"Then again - I don't think that the Jedi should be the sole protectors of the galaxy. With an army we have someone to check on the Jedi - and the Jedi to check on the army. Hopefully they could cancel each other out so neither would try gain power. While also effectivelly protecting our galaxy from our own stupidity."

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Tython was at first shocked at Karns disregerd for the Jedi order but then after some further thought he said "I agree the army does a good job but quite often they get infested with bad leaders or something similar and the jedis will be able to stop it. Also the jedis are small in size and can only do so much and so when they have a problem with a student going to the dark side it takes nearly all they have just to fix the problem so the army is a good reminder to jedis that they cant overstep their boundarys. The only problem with this is that even with two groups if they do it right they can still both do some major damage just by both of them agreeing that they sould do it. Because of this I think the New Republic should set up a third group that has significant orthority and power to stop the other two from steping out of line." he responded. He continued by saying "I dont know if any such groups exist but maybe it could be setup as a precausion and any excuse to have an extra standing army is good. What do you think?" Tython finished.

"Adding a third group doesn't necessarily fix the problem - they done appropriately it can make it a lot better. What stops two of the forces joining up with, say, the military with the third faction and becoming an overwellming problem for the Jedi?

"It will always be a flawed system as long as there is a wont for greater power. The trick is eliminating this want, though that's hard as most people in political positions are there for the power.

"Militray wise, due to the New Republic being so large there's a great need for a large military. The larger the military the harder it is to control them. To stop this, the military needs to be disciplined and broken up into different areas of control - say, each of the five fleet groups are given specific space to gaurd and all units in that area report to the admiral of the fleet and a Field Marshal of the fleet's ground units. This admiral or field marshal in turn, responds to someone above him - such as the New Republic Supreme Commander, NR High Command, Fleet Command or the Head of State. With the forces being devided it stops the lot of them doing something wrong or starting a rebellion of their own. This adds lag to the command structure, so the admiral and field marshal would have to be given base orders and expand themselves - simular to the modern system.

"Personally I think the military should be set out lke this: The military is devided up into three areas, a Security force - who are spread over multiple key planets and gaurd them, they're also called in for civil disturbances, the Defence force - they deal with threats to the New Republic and are called to assist a planet if the Security force can't deal with the problem, and finally a small militia - there would be a small militia on every planet made up of cheap units that are only capable of defence. The total militia force of a sector would always be smaller than the Security force of the sdame sector. The militia would be trained by the planet with equipment approved by the New Republic, and would be a sort of "Army Reserve" that follows under the New Republic chain of command. I'm sure any senator or planet goverment would like to be incharge of their own militia to protect themselves against attacks the Security or Defence forces couldn't deal with in time - it will also give them a fake sense of power, hopefully eliminating the want for more.

"All forces would be devided up into infantry, armour, fighters and navy - with the militia navy made up of small ships like frigates and the fighter corps would be fighters without hyperdrives, and their ground troops would be lightly equiped with anti-personal weapons, transports, a few anti-armor weapons and mainly riot gear. The Security forces would be spread over key planets within each system - or sometimes sector depending on the area. They would have much more lenient restrictions on equipment - though always for defencive purposes only. The Defence force would be limited to military bases, probably one in each sector, with training and munufactoring facilities. They'd also have the better equipment to deal with any threats. The bulk of the force would be stationed at a provisional capital for each district and seperated by fleet groups as I mentioned before.

This way, the military isn't used for dealing with small problems which could lead to frusrtation or over use of heavy equipment and they could be controlled by a joint force of the Jedi, and less so the Security force - and visa versa. This way it would be next to impossible for one of the groups breaking off and attempting to seize control of their own area by force or attempting to join up with another due to their diversity. The Defence force isn't overused for miniscule details, and there is a second and third line of defence as well as the Jedi to carry out their duties."

Karn took a long breath and sip of his drink after that talk, he could tell the others knew he had thought about this before. Which was true, though when he originally had thought up his theory it was for the Empire - though, with a few modifications it fitted the New Republic better.

"With a deverse heirachy it makes it hard for anyone person to seize control. Even if the senate attempted to take over the military - they would have to deal with the other units and the high commands for all branches. Not to mention an overall Intellegence force backed up by several branches dedicated to a specific area - such as the Defence force or militia.

Well, that's my extremely long two credits."

T'char pondered Karn's little speech, turning over its implications in his mind. "i think your idea has a lot of merit, in a wierdly warped kinda way" he said. "It quite nicely deals with the problem of the people at the top of the hierachy abusing their power. But with the considerable communication lags you mentioned wouldn't it be too easy for one of the local 'defensive' forces to turn renegade and start a rebellion from the bottom of the chain?" T'char watched Karn's reaction over the top of his schooner.

Somehow Arten managed to find his way to the bar, despite the anachronistic effects making his progress very difficult.

He made his way to a vacant table, and settled back to wait for his contact.

"I thank you, my friend, for it is in your death that the Scorekeeper finds my true worth."

-T'char, to the recently deceased Admiral Torin Khel

"As you said the biggest flaw with this idea is the lack of communication with the highest ranking officers in the New Republic and the lowest. Though, even now that's effectively what's in place - so, it's a problem that can only be addressed by adding addition fleets to make each group smaller and easier to control.

"However, assuming that there was rebellion brewing the only way for it to occur within this system is with small pockets of troops - maybe a couple of squads here or there. This is dealt with in two ways, first due to the fact that they could only be of small size without being easily noticed - they would find it hard to do anything except expand, very slowly. And if that were to happen, eventually the rest of the fleet group - or even another group - could deal with the problem in which ever way is necessary. Keeping the fleets "relatively" issolated from each other, with exception of the highest COs and during training exercises, whatever has the rebellious troopers sterred wont move onto another fleet group. Secondly, due to their small size and the time it would take to expand to an actual problem, the Intellegence branches can deal with any inserrections in their usual fasion.

"Though, this is all assuming that there will be a problem with the troops - usually its someone up higher, which is where this plan is almost fool proof. A single Fleet commander would have to convince his entire fleet to rebel - not too far fetched - and then the rest of the Defence force on all levels, then fool Intellegence and deal with the Senate, Security Forces and local militias. Almost impossible."

Karn went to take another sip of his drink only to find this glass empty as well. Cocking an eyebrow, Karn tried to remember if he had drunk it all without realising. In the end he put glass back down and continued.

"Not being a politician or an admiral, I can only assume that this theory would work. But we all no what they say about assumptions."

• 3 weeks later...
Tython finally realized that this conversation was going to last a lot longer than he had expected. As he settled back into his chair he prepared himself for a long night of talking. Trying to keep the conversation from getting to theoretical Tython said "So if all the internal problems are dealt with then who is the new republic going to fight. I mean I know that the whole idea of the new republic is to bring peace but with the constant lust for power will always bring some alien to try and start fighting. So who is going to be the next person to cause problems for them." Tython asked as he called for another round of drinks for everyone.

IC: Karn leaned further back on his chair and took a sip from his newly freshened drink.

"Who next? Well the Empire is still here - and I think they'll be here to stay, which means that they're always going to be a contender for power. But who knows - maybe our next enemies will be from the Unknown Region, areas within the galaxy that are hostal or ever scarier: Outside the galaxy. That sure would be interesting, to have a species from some other galaxy travel all the way here to attack us or make peace. Of course, if they were going to attack us they could study our militaries and technologies for years without us knowing. I mean, there are some many ways for them to observe us from outside the galaxy and from within - nearly every day I see an alien species that I can't name or remember seeing before."

Karn let his chair glide back onto all four legs again beore continuing, "Like you said, there's always going to be some one to fight. That's what ripped apart the Old Republic, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens for the New Republic. Nevertheless, if I'm called apon to help keep this galaxy safe for all - I'm going to do it no matter where the enemy came from. May the force forbid that someday it's Corellia, that would make it hard to fight my homeworld."

Karn took a long sip of his drink. He shuddered as the thought of Corellia rebelling against the New Republic popped into his mind again.

OCC: Sorry, to many references . . . couldn't resist! :lol::wink:

T'char switched to a mineral water for a moment to give himself a chance for his head to clear up.

"I think that the biggest concern the Republic has now is to combat pirates and smugglers. Most of the systems within the Republic are unlikely to start anything big on their own - a single planet probably doesn't have the resources to create a large problem on it's own, and as you've pointed out, Karn, the military is unlikely to be a problem. No, free agents like pirates and smugglers are going to become the biggest pronlems to the republic because they hold no alliances to anyone but themselves, and they will attack the financial heart of the republic - weakening it vie\a its economy."

"I thank you, my friend, for it is in your death that the Scorekeeper finds my true worth."

OOC: For those who aren't already there, the Mission at Hefi roleplay needs some more bodies. Specifically, we need some Imperials, plus somebody willing to play a Bothan ambassador with a serious attitude.

Go ahead and leave me a message here and I'll fill you in.

"I...I don't believe it!"

"THAT is why you fail."

Tython listened to the others replies and said "The pirates will be the main problem because they will do basically the same as what the rebels did. The only thing that is stopping them and the Imperials from trying to retake the empire is the fact that they dont have an evil leader to rally behind. Luckily for the New Republic every time the Imperials get a leader to follow, Luke or some other hero comes along and kills them before they can do more damage. Also they will never start a propper war because they dont have a good cause to fight for. So people wont flock to them to offer assistence or anything like that. No I think I agree with Karn. The only real threat to the New Republic will be from some empire that we dont know about and can support a decent fleet."

"But what's to say that an external alien empire has to be hostile? I know there have been some major confrontations with new alien races over the years, but there have also been great alliances forged with such races. Take the Mon Calamari, for example. They have always been friendly to the empire/republic, despite really being outsiders. I think you may be right that external threats are more important that pirates and smuggling, but the chances of such a race being a problem, i think is pretty remote".

"I'd like to think that any new species we'd meat were peaceful - though you can never garantee that. Remember when the Ssi-ruu were discovered? They were fighting the Bakurans, and the Rebel Alliance/New Republic and Empire went to their aid.

"But, then again there's species like the Chiss, who have seemed to be relatively peaceful."

Coughing, Karn quickly added onto his own sentence, "Thrawn."

Karn gave a quick smirk to his own joke, and continued. "And then there are those in between - like the Noghri. They might have been fighting the Alliance - though that was only under Vader's orders, and that was because he tricked their speicies.

"I guess we can only hope that if we meet another speciess from inside or outside our galaxy, that they're friendly."

Tython Looked at Karn and said "I never actually heard how Vadar got the Noghri to fight for the Empire and I was wondering if posibly Luke or some other ambassador could get them to join the New Republic or have they already done so." As he sat back to try and remove the fealling of alcohol flowing through his veins and entering his mind. He was going to have one killer hangover in the morning.

Squinting, Karn tried to remember what had happened exactly. Though the reports on the Noghri had always been very vague, especially for someone in his position.

"Hmm, well it all started with Vader "saving" the Noghri from their planet - which was orchestrated by the Emporer. Aparantelly, two warships battled above their planet, and the ship that lost crashed and released a toxic chemical over the planet - and Vader came to their rescue. In repayment, the Emporer asked for their sons services. As you know, they served the Empire as assassins as well as commandos.

"Anyway, the gist of what I understand is that Leia found out about the treachery and told the Noghri. They recalled all their people that followed the Empire, and pledged their alliance to the New Republic - I think they saw Leia as their new saviour, and possibly to some extent feel that Darth Vader is still their saviour. Anyway, they now call her "Lady Vader", and to my knolledge obey her without question."

"Hmmm. The way I heard it, it was a little different."

T'char downed a glass of spirits to coax the story out.

"Yes, a capital ship did crashland on their home planet, but it created an ecological disater simply through the mayhem of the landing. When Vader found out about it, he sent droids and supplies to help rebuild the planet. The Noghri idolised him for helping them, but didn't see that he was making them dependant on him for their survival. So when he asked for their employment as assassins and badyguards. When the empire colapsed, they continued their work under the command of Grand Admiral Thrawn, until they sent out assassins to kill Leia and Luke. Due to their enhanced sense of smell, they were actually able to tell that Leia was a decendant of Vader, and so naturally followed her lead. She then showed them her father's deception, and so allowed the Noghri to go back to their old existence (but on another planet, since Vader had essentially destroyed their homeworld). The final part to the story was when Thrawn was killed by his Noghri bodyguard in revenge."

"Wow!!" Tython exclaimed. "What a twisted history. It will probably be several generations before they get over what they where put through. I'm just glad nothing that horendus has happened to too many of the races that make up the new republic. The only race that had to undergo that sort of annihilatilion was Alderaan but they got over that prity quickly because they had lots of off planet recourses to call on. I wonder how many of them are left and if they ever intend to buy an unused planet somewhere and start again even though there arn't many of them?. Tython thought aloud. Edited by Phytho

Karn bowed his head in memory of the terrible trajedy that occured at Alderaan. He had only been a teenager when it occured - though its memory haunted him about how evil some people can truely be.

Raising his head, Karn contineud in a soft voice.

"I don't think anyone or any culture could ever recover from such a thing."

Raising his glass, Karn toasted those that died on that terrible day.

"To all of those who lost their lives on Alderaan - may that type of terror and destruction never pass through this galaxy again."

Tython nodded solemly in agreement and said "Sorry about raising that topic. It obviously hits a sore note with many people. I should have known better." ..... "So do you have any theorys about the force and how it communicates to us. I have a few of my own but they are probably all far fetched or rediculous so I want to see what others think before I tell the entire universe and make a fool of myself." Tython said as he squirmed uncomfortably in his seat trying to change the subject.

"Feel free to spurt, mate." said T'char. "I'll do my best not to laugh, and hey - maybe what you've got to say isn't actually anything funny, and is entirely right. There's no way we're gunna know unless you speak up!"

He glanced at Tython, who still seemed a little usure.

"OK, how about this. I've got a few ideas as well, and i'm going to share them with you, see if you laugh. For example, i think that the official explanation for the force - midichlorians - lacks a little depth, and was simply made up to help a new generation understand something that can't really be explained, and probably shouldn't be explained. I really don't think it rings true with some of the events and statements from the past, and tends to contradict itself. Anyway, that's my opinion."

Tython sighed with relief as T'char spoke knowing that he hadnt just totally killed the conversation. "Well these are just my ideas and thoughts so they arnt nessisarilly true. Anyway I think that Medichloriens are almost like transistors, if you like, of the force and so its not nessisarily the amount of them you have that makes you a powerful force user but its more like the more charge they allow through the more powerful you are. Another theroy is that the more medichloriens you have the more you are connected to the force so it guides you more clearly. So because of that the best sword fighters would be the jedi with the most medichloriens because the force is telling them where to move but they are very rarely the most powerful force users. Any way I also think the medichloriens are like batterys and they can only store a certain amount of power and that is why after some jedi do big things using the force they feel exhausted and they cant do anything for a while untill the medichloriens have recharged. Any way this is just my thoughts on the subject, assuming of course that medichloriens are real and not just something that was made up, like T'char said." Tython said . He then took a deep breath and said "Well there you go what do you think? Is it really bad or is it alright?"