Welcome to the #7 edition of 60 Standard Minutes.

Guest Admiral_Antilles

How did you enjoy this edition?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How did you enjoy this edition?

• It was great!
    • It was okay.
    • It was bad!

Guest Admiral_Antilles

Welcome to the #7 edition of 60 Standard Minutes. I would like to take a moment an discuss about the topic of this edition’s investigation. I first started to ponder about how many and which starfighters should I investigate, so when I narrowed it down, I decided to only do the most famous of ships for both the Rebellion and Empire. I just wanted to say that as a heads up, incase I get bombarded with replies about not doing any thing about (place letter here)-Wing. I hope you all enjoy this information, and always, it is a pleasure to write for you all.

Let us begin with the Rebellion’s fighters.

X-Wing

Common name for the Incom T-65c A2 Starfighter, this is a 12.5 meter snub fighter with two wings that split in two by activating S-foils. This allows for greater maneuverability and firing accuracy; each of the split wings has its own laser cannon (total of four). It is a single-pilot ship, with an R2 astromech droid socket. The R2 unit is used in place of a navigational computer. It is extremely maneuverable, even at its top sublight speed of 110 MGLT. It has also been clocked at 1,050 kilometers per hour in an atmosphere. The X-Wing was designed by Incom just before the Empire stopped contracting out naval construction. The Empire believed that Incom was infiltrated by Alliance sympathizers, and relieved the X-Wing team of duty. The X-Wing team then defected to the Alliance, flying out with all the X-Wing prototypes and the starfighter's plans. Their parting gesture to the Empire was to destroy all records of the X-Wing in Incom and Imperial databases. The Alliance then began to produce the X-Wing themselves, recognizing its potential. It continued to gain acceptance after the Galactic Civil War due to its maneuverability and durability. Several upgrades and modifications from the liberated Incom design team didn't yield major improvements until the advent of the T-65d A1, which eliminated the astromech droid in favor of more computer power to provide the pilot with more in-flight options in terms of maneuverability and management of shipboard resources. The T-65c A2 boasts the following shipboard components:

• Incom GBk-585 Hyperdrive Motivation Unit

• Incom MKI Drive Module

• 4 wing-mounted Incom 4j.4 Fusial Thrust Engines (some models use Incom 4L4 Fusial thrusters)

• IN-344-B Sightline Holographic Crosshairs

• 4 Taim and Bak IX4 Laser Cannons (some models use Taim and Bak KX9 laser cannons)

• Fabritech ANq 3.6 Target Tracker

• Fabritech ANs-5d Sensor Unit

• Fabritech k-blakan Mini Sensor

• S-foil Activator

• Gax Revival Life Support System

• Guidenhauser Ejection Seat

• Novaldex O-4Z Ionization Reactor

• Chempat Defender Shield Projector (rated at 50 SBD)

• Cryogenic Power Cells

• Torplex Rq8.Y Avionics Control Package

• Carbanti Universal Transceiver Package

• Melihat Multi-Imager Dedicated Energy Receptor

• Tana Ire Electro-photo Receptor

• Long Range Phased Tachyon Detection Array Model Number PA-9r

• Short Range Primary Threat Analysis Grid Number PG-7u

• Bertriak Screamer Active Jammer

• Krupx MG7 Proton Torpedo Launchers (2 racks of 3)

• Titanium Alloy Hull (rated at 20 RU)

• Transparisteel Canopy

• R2 Astromech Navigation Droid

• 4 Exhaust Nacelles

• Sarylcorp Reactant Agitator Injector

• Surge Vent

• Fire Extinguisher

Y-Wing

This was the common name of the Koensayr BTL Longprobe Starfighter. Originally designed for long range reconnaissance, this J-type snub fighter has twin-propulsion systems behind a single cockpit. The BTL-A4 is a 16-meter-long, one-man fighter with space for an astromech droid. The BTL-S3 is a two-man fighter, also equipped with an astromech droid. They can make 80 MGLT at sublight speeds, and can maneuver at 1,000 kilometers per hour in an atmosphere. Because the Y-Wing required constant repairs, the Alliance - and many other independent parties - stripped off the outer hull covering the craft, aft of the cockpit, to make repairs easier to execute. The durability of the Y-Wing made it a staple in the Alliance's starfighter corps, and it was rumored that the Alliance lost more Y-Wings than any other ship type during the Galactic Civil War. It boasts the following shipboard systems:

• Gax Revival Life Support System

• R2 Astromech Unit for Navigation

• 2 ArMek SW4 Laser Cannons mounted on top

• Titanium Reinforced Alusteel Alloy Hull (rated at 40 RU)

• Thiodyne O-3R Ionization Reactor

• Koensayr R300-H Hyperdrive Motivation Unit

• 2 Disk Ventrals for maneuvering

• Cryogenic Power Cells

• Subpro NH-7 Avionics Control Package

• Fabritech ANs-5d Sensor Unit

• SI 5G7 Quickscan Vector Imaging Crosshairs

• 2 Koensayr R200 Ion Fission Engines

• 2 Taim and Bak KX5 Laser Cannons mounted on nose (early versions and many BTL-S3's used IX4 cannons)

• Novaldex Power Generator

• Chempat Shield Projector (rated at 75 SBD)

• Fabritech ANc-2.7 Tracking Computer

• Arakyd Flex Tube Proton Torpedo Launchers (2 racks of 4 each

A-Wing

The generalized name of the Dodonna/Blissex RZ-1 Starfighter, this ship was designed from the R-22 Spearhead. It was a flat, one-man, wedged-shaped snub fighter built for the Alliance after the loss of Echo Base and prior to the Battle of Endor. The A-Wing was designed, as its name implies, by Jan Dodonna and Walex Blissex. Because the Alliance was short on funds, most A-Wings were custom-built in private shops. As an example, the ship Tycho Celchu flew at the Battle of Endor had its cockpit inlaid with Fijisi wood. It measured 9.6 meters in length, and was designed for interception and long-range reconnaissance. One unique feature of the A-wing was the short hydro-servo bearing installed in each wingtip, allowing the pilot to tilt the laser cannons up to 60 degrees up or down. Its top sublight speed was 120 MGLT, and it could maneuver at 1,300 kilometers per hour in an atmosphere. It had limited navcomp capabilities, being able to calculate only 2 jumps before requiring recalibration. It boasted the following shipboard systems:

• MPS Bpr-99 Power Core and Fusion Reactor

• Twin Novaldex J-77 Event Horizon Engines

• Torplex Rq9.Z Advanced Avionics Control

• Microaxial LpL-449 NavCom Unit

• Incom GBk-785 Hyperdrive Motivation Unit

• Fabritech ANq 3.6 Target Tracker

• 2 Borstel RG-9 Laser Cannons

• Dymek HM-6 Concussion Missile Launchers (up to 6 missiles)

• Sirplex Z-9 Shield Projector (50 SBD)

• Fabritech ANs-7e Sensor Unit

• IN-3444-B Sightline Holographic Crosshairs

• Titanium Alloy Hull (15 RU)

One obscure aspect of the A-Wing's design came to light after the Battle of Endor, when Arvel Crynyd used his ship to single-handedly destroy the Executor. The A-Wing's unique shape, coupled with its speed and its highly-explosive fuel system, made the starfighter a manned projectile weapon of incredible destructive capability.

B-Wing

Designed by Admiral Ackbar and the Verpine colonies of Slayn and Korpil as part of the Shantipole Project, the B-Wing (the B stands for blade) looks like like a flying cross, with the control pod at the top, retractable wings at the sides, and laser guns at the top and bottom. The canopy is also gyroscopically levelled by a unique stabilization mechanism that allows the entire ship to rotate around the canopy. This is difficult to maintain, and can leave the pilot disoriented if it locks up. The Quadex Kyromaster stardrive is located at the center of the cross. The whole ship flies sideways. The entire ship is 16.9 meters in length, at its longest dimension. Originally designed without a hyperdrive, it was later modified to include a hyperdrive and limited navcomp capabilities. It is limited to two hyperspace jumps before the navcomp requires recalibration. It can make 950 kilometers per hour in an atmosphere, and has been rated at 90 MGLT in open space. The B-Wing is equipped with active and passive sensors, a single laser cannon, two proton torpedo launchers, three fire-linked medium ion cannons, and two auto-blasters. The single laser cannon can be fired at low power in continuous mode, doing no damage but acting as a near-perfect targeting mechanism. While this makes the B-wing very effective, it also allows the enemy to effectively target the B-wing in return. It is equipped with the following components:

• 3 Gyrhil R-9X Laser Cannons

• 1 Gyrhil 72 Twin Auto-blaster

• 3 ArMek SW-7a Ion Cannons

• 2 Krupx MG9 Proton Torpedo Launchers (6 torpedoes each)

• 4 Slayn & Korpil JZ-5 Fusial Thrust engines

• Slayn & Korpil JZ-5 Fusial Thrust engines

• Slayn & Korpil HYd-997 Hyperdrive Motivator

• Fabritech ANv-9q Sensor System

• Fabritech ANq 3.6 Tracking Computer

• Long Range Phased Tachyon Array Model Number PH-5s

• Short Range Primary Threat Grid Model Number PK-8f

• Narmox HG.6w Flight Control Avionics Package

• Microaxial LpM-549 NavComp Unit

• Vinop O2K Cryogenic Power Cells and Ionization Reactor

• In-344-B Sightline Imaging System

• Sirplex Zr-41 Front- and Rear-projecting Shield Generators (125 SBD)

• Titanium Alloy Hull (60 RU)

• S-foils

B-Wing/E

This modification to the original Slayn & Korpil B-Wing design - known as the B-Wing Expanded - was first proposed by Admiral Ackbar and the Verpine after the Battle of Yavin. The B-Wing Expanded had an elongated cockpit that allowed a gunner to assist the pilot on missions. This allowed the pilot to concentrate on piloting, and resulted in the B-Wing accounting for an increased number of kills in battle. It was faster and tougher than the original B-Wing, but was somewhat less maneuverable. There were two models of B-Wing/E: the first was simply a military ship, while the second generation (known as the B-Wing/E2) was designed as a personal military shuttle. Ackbar used one of these E2-designs as his own shuttle, which he was forced to crash on the planet Vortex after it had been tampered with by Terpfen.

Now let’s learn about the starfighters of the Empire.

TIE Fighter

Sometimes called the TIE/ln starfighter, this was the first flat-winged, single-pilot TIE ship developed by Seinar Fleet Systems, and the basis for all other TIE ships. It is 6.3 meters in length, and can make 100 MGLT at sublight speeds. It has also been clocked at 1,200 kilometers per hour in an atmosphere. Like all TIE ships, it has a titanium alloy hull and quadanium steel armored solar panels. All visual information on TIE Fighters shows that they have six-sided solar panels, although X-Wing: The Bacta War indicates that they are octagonal. Also, like other TIE ships, it is built exclusively from Seinar Fleet Systems components, and lacks primary life support systems. It is a short-range starfighter, requiring a nearby base of operations from which to obtain fuel and guidance. It also boasts the following shipboard systems:

• Seinar Fleet Systems T-s8 Targeting Computer

• Seinar Fleet Systems I-a2b Solar Ionization Reactor

• Seinar Fleet Systems N-s6 NavCom Unit

• Seinar Fleet Systems P-s4 Twin Ion Engines

• Seinar Fleet Systems F-s3.2 Avionics Control

• 2 Seinar Fleet Systems P-w401 Ion Maneuvering Jets

• 2 Seinar Fleet Systems L-s1 Laser Cannons,

• Titanium Alloy Hull (rated at 15 RU)

• Quadanium Steel Armored Solar Panels

TIE Advanced

Single-hulled attack ship with bent wings, it was built from a design developed by Darth Vader just prior the Battle of Yavin. Vader flew a prototype TIE/Ad in the battle, and following the loss of the Death Star, he worked with Seinar Fleet Systems to refine it. The 10-meter craft is quick and agile, rated at a top speed of 145 MGLT. The TIE Advanced was equipped with the following shipboard components:

• Seinar Fleet Systems I-s3a Solar Ionization Reactor

• Seinar Fleet Systems P-sx7.4 Twin Ion Engines

• Seinar Fleet Systems F-s5x Flight Avionics Control

• Seinar Fleet Systems N-s6 NavCom Unit, Seinar Fleet Systems ND9 Hyperdrive Activator Unit

• 4 Seinar Fleet Systems L-s9.3 Laser Cannons

• 2 Seinar Fleet Systems M-g-2 General Purpose Warhead Launchers

• Front/Rear Projecting Novaldex Shields (rated at 100 SBD)

TIE Advanced x1

The original series of prototypes for the TIE Advanced, the x1 was the most successful of the TIE prototypes built by Sienar Fleet Systems, and although it did not make it to production, many of its advancements did. The x1 had a custom-built fuselage which features enhanced armor plating, and expanded rear deck, and matching bent wings. It wasn't as maneuverable as the other TIE Fighter designs, but speed was slightly faster. Like most TIE ships, the x1 lacked a life-support system, but it did have modest shield generators and a hyperdrive. The x1 saw limited production. Darth Vader received one of the first x1 ships, while others went to elite squadrons for testing. SFS could not bring the fighter's cost down, so the Empire opted not to purchase the x1 in quantity. Instead, the Empire chose the TIE Interceptor, which incorporated many of the x1's advances but on the basis TIE Fighter frame and at a much cheaper cost. In the decades after the fall of the Empire at Endor and the negotiation of peace between the New Republic and the Imperial remnants, these ships were decommissioned. Lando Calrissian picked up a number of them for use in the Lando's Folly asteroid field.

TIE Bomber

Built by Seinar Fleet Systems, this version of the TIE fighter is a double-hulled bomber ship with bent wings for increased stability. It is 7.8 meters in large, is a single-pilot craft, and can make 80 MGLT at sublight speeds. It was designed for surgical strikes against ground and deep-space targets. It suffers in maneuverability due to its double-hulled configuration, but when complemented by TIE Fighters or TIE Interceptors, it makes a lethal combination. They have enhanced targeting capability, making them much more accurate than many capital ships. These ships eventually evolved into the Scimitar assault bomber. It boasts the following shipboard systems:

• Seinar Fleet Systems P-s4 Twin Ion Engines

• Seinar Fleet Systems N-s4 NavCom Unit

• 2 Seinar Fleet Systems L-s1 Laser Cannons

• Seinar Fleet Systems M-s3 Concussion Missile Launchers (2 racks of 4)

• Seinar Fleet Systems I-a2b Solar Ionization Reactor

• Seinar Fleet Systems F-s3.2 Avionics Control

• Seinar Fleet Systems T-s7b Targeting Computer

• Seinar Fleet Systems T-s5 Proton Torpedo Launchers (2 racks of 2)

• Titanium Alloy Hull (rated at 50 RU)

TIE Interceptor

Built by Seinar Fleet Systems, these single-pilot bent-winged attack craft were designed so that the wings are longer in front than behind, and have been cut out at the front for better visibility. They are 9.6 meters in length, and can run at 110 MGLT at sublight speeds. They have been timed at 1,250 kilometers per hour in atmospheric conditions. It boasts the following shipboard systems:

• Seinar Fleet Systems I-a3b Solar Ionization Reactor

• Seinar Fleet Systems S-c4.1 Multi-range Tracking Array Grid

• Seinar Fleet Systems F-s4 Avionics Control

• Seinar Fleet Systems T-s9a Targeting Computer

• Seinar Fleet Systems P-s5.6 Twin Ion Engines

• Seinar Fleet Systems N-s6 NavCom Unit

• 4 Seinar Fleet Systems L-s9.3 Laser Cannons

TIE Defender

An advanced form of TIE Fighter developed in secrecy by the Imperial Navy; the TIE Defender was produced as a response to the success of the Alliance's starfighter pilots. This 10-meter starfighter, known as the TIE/D, took the stability and agility of the TIE Interceptor's bent-wing design and added a third bent-wing to it. Not much was known about the TIE/D, as it was never fully accepted in battle and never mass-produced. It boasts the following shipboard systems:

• 4 L-s9.3 laser cannons

• 2 NK-3 ion cannons

• 2 M-g-2 warhead launchers

• 200 SBD shields

• 20 RU hull

• P-sz9.7 twin ion engines from Sienar Fleet Systems

• Novaldex shield generators

The TIE Defender was used to defeat Admiral Zaarin, although the missions were so secret that very few Imperial officials were unaware of its role. The TIE Defender was produced at a cost of over 300,000 credits per fighter, about five times the cost of a TIE/ln. This, plus the political upheaval created by the Battle of Endor and the fact that it had an aft blindspot created by the wing placement, led to the demise of the TIE Defender as a widely-accepted starfighter. It’s only known deployment was as part of Onyx Squadron during the Battle of Endor.

I hope you all enjoyed this edition of 60 Standard Minutes; it was enlightening to me doing it. I would also like to note that starting Monday, I will be out of town for 2 weeks, so expect a wait for the next edition. May your lives prosper in these two weeks, and may the Force be with you all.

Guest Admiral_Antilles
I am glad you enjoyed it, Paul. It pleases me to get such great replies, it makes it all worth the trouble. By the way, just as a reminder to everyone, try and only use this post for on-topic discussions and comments, thanks. :)

Nice work Antilliles. The 60 Standard Minutes is becoming a favourite for me - keep up the great work!

P.S. Nice avatar!

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Well done. I found the information on the Imperial Starfighters most interesting. So the TIE Defender was not mass produced because of a blind spot? I'd think that most SW fighters would have a huge blind spot, especially and TIE models. The solar pannels would greatly restrict sight lines, no matter what model you were flying.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Guest Admiral_Antilles
Well, it was the only tyoe that was referenced when I found information that suggested a blind spot. It's hard in general to decide what to and not to put in my editions. I have to constantly run through my mind, "is it precise enough to put in?" So, it's really up to you, I have no information to contradict or approve of your statment, GAT. And thanks, Krytos, I enjoy my new avatar a lot too.

Wasn't criticizing :D , just making a comment. I remember reading that somewhere, but I'n my opinion there would be the same problem with all fighters, though I guess the Defender would have been the worst. I should have clarified my-self :) .

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Guest JediIgor
Very interesting, a quick note though, I was wondering why you didn't go into detail about the X-wing going through very many revisions (T-65d, XJ, etc) and it being the favorite fighter of the Alliance even after the T-Wings, K-Wings, E-Wings, etc, :).