Harry Potter

Stratus

Have you read the books?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Have you read the books?

• Yes, I loved them.
    • Yes, they were alright..
    • Yes, but I didn't like them.
    • No, but I want to and heard they were good.
    • No, and I am not interested in them so don't plan on it.

• SWR Staff - Executive

The books are awesome. The movies aren't too bad if you see them standalone and know whats going on but if you compare them to the books they are nothing. They left so much out and messed up some details that readers thought were criticial.

What do you guys think of the Harry Potter series?

Have you read them?

Which book is your favorite?

Which movie is your favorite?

Do you like them?

What can't you wait for more, the next movie or the next book?

• SWR Staff - Executive

It was certainly a good read. It just looks the rest of the books will continue in length... and years for release. Just stick to telling one story.... should not have fixed the amount of the books. Now it seems like each one will fill up until 7 is double or triple in size to the beginning books.

As to the movies, the first two were good. The third one was disappointing.. it was lacking in storyline and structure. The camera tricks could not out overshadow the lacking subplots and development. Yes its darker, but did we really have to see panning of every shot? Did we really have to go through every scene transition? Did we really have to go through the whole "waking up from darkness" scene... multiple times!?

I can see artistic license in telling the story, but there was no story here. Either you read the books and you already understand what happens, or you're one of the ones who didn't and don't follow it at all. (On a seperate note, Dumbledore just throws me off.. don't like really like this portrayal of him)

Good notes: Hermione has the best line. And of course, some decent acting too. It was very dark compared to the other movies, as expected. Tricks with the time displacement was done quite well.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Somewhere there is a very populated thread that deals with the best way to kill him... That probably represents best my opinion on both, the books and the movies.
http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

My opinion of Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling has had it's ups and downs. I was very much against the series at first, for a variety of reasons. The main one was Rowling's borderline plaigarism of "The Legend of Rah and the Muggles" by N.K. Stouffer (copyright 1986, btw). :roll:

Then there's this.

And as a father I don't like the fact that Harry & Co. are rewarded for breaking/bending rules or circumventing them with witchcraft.

However, I'm a big LotR fan and regularly play D&D, so I can't complain too much. :wink: I've read the first book, and am 3/4 of the way through the second one. I've seen the first two movies, and I let my son watch them with supervision and discussion of any questions he might have. I've speculated on modifying the 2nd Edition AD&D Supplement "College of Wizardry" to incorporate my ideas for wands, classes, etc. based off my readings of the books, and then run a campaign based on it.

Partial spoiler below! Don't read further if you don't want a portion of "Chamber of Secrets" revealed!

My big beef with the series NOW is the number of plot holes in the books. For example, in "Chamber of Secrets": HP is a 'Parceltongue', meaning he can speak with snakes. When he speaks the snake language, it sounds like a bunch of hissing to human listeners. Now, one of the main points in the story is that Harry can hear a voice which no one else can...a voice revealed later on to be the basilisk, which is a giant snake, as it moves through the plumbing. So why can't the rest of the inhabitants of Hogwarts hear the damn hissing? :?

It makes for a good light read, but lacks the depth and cohesion of works like LotR, the Belgariad, or even any of R.A. Salvatore's work. The movies are okay, but the kid who plays Harry seems to be suffering from "William Shatner Syndrome" in the delivery of his lines.

Five of the Greatest Lines in the Star Wars Trilogy :roll:;)

-"As you wish..."

-"He's no good to me dead..."

-"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."

-"Put Captain Solo in the Cargo Hold"

-"AaaaaAAaaaaaa!!"

Fett's Vette

The Lyrics

I’ve read all of them, and I think that there latest they are to come out, the better they are, that is why I prefer the n° 5 and I am sure n° 6 will be better and n° 7 will be even better. But I wonder if they will be any more than 7 books, I know he will have finished school at the end of n°7, but I think an other book or two resuming he life could be good. Don’t you?

Harry Potter was a good idea...that went wrong. Thats why my ultimate goal in life is to replace it with a creation of my own...which eliminates allot of the complaints I just read.

Stellar Magic...the series I'm working on is much more violent then Harry Potter is or ever will be. My earliest draft for the second installment in the series had a battle that made the Siege of Helm's Deep seem dull. Maybe when Cain's done reading what I sent him you could ask him about it.

Actually in violence levels I can do a simple comparison...

Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone

1 Death the bad guy...

A couple injuries...

A dog, a chess match, and a wizards battle

Stellar Magic: The Merlin Academy

No major deaths, some tertiary character deaths...

1 Major life threatening injury...

Space Battles: 2

Dogfights: 1

Firefights: 3

Swordfights: (Several Practice fights) 2

Sniper Attacks: 2

Chase Sequence: 1

Imagine all that in around 300 pages...sounds like a star wars novel

:twisted:

I like Harry Potter as a series of young adult novels, and the plotting in the newest book is really good, but the movies are as usual far less then the books. If it becomes a full scale war I'll probably enjoy it more, but I doubt that will happen.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Ask Cain...

I'd quote this but its from another thread...

Cain said: I opened up the file you sent me and I found Harry Potter... 8O

Its got some similarities, Magic, a wizarding school, but the entire thing is set 2000 years in the future during wartime. The school reminds me more of what I'd think West Point or VMI would be like. They study combat and battles and practice battles... I suppose in some ways its more like a Jedi Academy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Some violent wizard vs. wizard war would be nice...But....stellar your idea doesn't seem to be anything like Harry Potter.... :lol:

Sorry don't see the need for more violence. I'm tired of all the violence in movies, action is one thing, violence in another. By violence I'm not reading just fight scenes, Jackie Chan has those, and fight scenes are fun, I'm reading blood guts, be-headings etc.

I like the books, TF and I are reading together so I am about 3/4 of the way through the second book also. I've taken a few children's literture classes and I think on many levels, the books are great for kids, plus they are enjoyable for adults which makes them much more pleaseent for bed -time stories etc. Yeah there are a few plot holes, of course many works have them. I think the character development is awesome. The Wheaslies (sp?) are fantastic. I love the way the portray the family and I love the contrast between them and the Dursley's There are so many contrasts of light and dark, good and evil in there, I think it is excellent for kids.

I find the movies enjoyable, I have not made it to see the third movie yet, but we hope to go. They are great movies, nor are these great works of literture. They are enjoyable entertainment. I think that is all they were intended on being. Great works of literture are excellent, but you know I often just prefer a good escape.

As for the sex comment, hmm... I am only at book 2 but I keep wondering about Ron and Hermoinine and Harry and Ron sister (oh what is her name) but that is probably my being a girl and all. I haven'tthought sex though, more just romance.

"You came in THAT thing? You're braver than I thought." -Princess Leia

Yes. I understand the problem with violence and comes down to one rather simple thing. Violence for the sake of violence is bad, violence for a reason is good in films.

There is a reason that Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's list, and Apocolypse now are violent. Its trying to show reality and reality isn't always very clean or acceptable. At the same time violence in films like Starship Troopers was really just for the sake of it being violent, thats why the film is so bad.

Of course then there's star wars, but do you really see all that much really gory or bloody violence in that? No. (With the exception of the NJO, coufees and amphistaffs don't cauterize the wounds they make.)

Romance, well for the older groups of readers Rowling will undoubtably add more romance, but its still a kids book so don't expect sex to play a part.

Signature:

• 1 month later...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgDtAm4Stjr4i8gpg*9mTIyfeJVdv7SjBYSfsmpZzQevcliEIZyPX6XC6rna0NmtUYZdiLQchRpaDUAZ9MKpAjBHneKeOpSA/hp.gif

Forgive me. Just feeling exceptionally nasty. Doom 3 doesn't work on my machine. :evil::cry::cry:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Somewhere there is a very populated thread that deals with the best way to kill him... That probably represents best my opinion on both, the books and the movies.

muhohahaha! :twisted::twisted:

:wink: With you, Sir!

Jahled, didn't miss anything. That game is garbage. :lol:

(perhaps you should try Postal 2)