My model editing questions

Loserboy

Ok I've been taking the extremly lazy approach to editing, mostly because my computer skills are minimal but also because I'm downright lazy.

I decided to borrow someone else's work. I've converted an XWA opt file to a 3ds ( and a bunch of bmps textures) and from there one back into a small (81 kb).x file.

This went great, after this I wound up with a pretty nice model of an Imperial stardestroyer. It looked great in the MS D3D viewer window nice and detailed.

When I hacked it into the game this changed. The model was to large (this could easely be corrected), but it also lost most of it's detail It was just a grey outlining of a sd it, it lookd better than the original but noy by much. It lost all textures.

Is the 3D3 viewer just pulling texture information out of the bmps in the directiory or are they inside the *.x file and is Rebellion just unable to read them?

Oh and Hi! First time poster, long time lurker. I just never had anything usefull to say until now. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is something profoundly disturbing about watching an eye that is watching you, particularly when the eye that is watching you is almost the same size as your eye, and the thing that it is watching you out of is a lizard.

never mind. D3D viewer proggy was just pulling them from the dir.

DOH! this is what happens if you don't think about what you're doing.

Maybe I should have been a little bit less lazy. :D.

I'm just gonna screw around with the program and see if I can produce something better.

And in the wrong forum, yay when you're on a roll you're on a roll.

Now lets see if I can convert the bmp to rebellions wack format and get some textures onto these things.

That chat transcript between Magnus and jediIgor didn't really clear things up for me.

Let me know, if you can convert the textures to Rebellion's format. I tried many things myself and so far I could only colorize several parts of the models, instead of applying textures to it.

You can also watch the models with LithUnwrap, you know ?

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Yeah I'm aware of Lithunwrap, but since I'm not really doing any real modeling as of yet, i'm just transporting existing models into the x format. I'm only using the viewer as a program to check model size in comparison to an SD. Since I'm only using one source and made a bach file with a set size, all models are pretty much in scale.

Sadly so far I've just created some very effective cloaking devices. :cry:

I've gonna see if I can transform some of the orignal rebellion textures into something usefull and then back engineer from there.

But I don't have a lot of free time, I'm in the middle of hellweek (next week it's "finals time" and I still need to read about 5 research papers two of them in german :cry: ).

So it might take a while. Lets hope Magnus comes up with something usefull before that. :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clothes do make the man, naked people have little or no infulence on our society.

Clothes do make the man, naked people have little or no infulence on our society.

Indeed 8O

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Loserboy, if you have trouble with some words in German, you can give me call (billy_loomis@gmx.net) :D

Pucho, Magus made the MonCal patch in the semi-old forum, remember ?

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Thanks for the offer Mask. But it's not neccesary I have the good fortune to have some german exchange students living 3 doors down the hall.

A quick question about the textures.

Did the rebellion team take a regular BMP and then for some unexplainable reason, stripped the header. Or did they use some kind of odd Mac paint image or raw file?

I've tried a dozen or so programs, but nothing seems to work. I did pick up some random bits of info on the web this one seemed fairly accurate.

-------------------------------

MAC

(Macintosh Paint)

MAC files are used in the Macintosh MacPaint application.

The MAC format file has 2 basic options:

* The common option is a ported MacPaint files,that includes a "MacBinary" header.

* The rare option is the one used with PFS First Publisher,this file has no header.

In order to migrate a MAC file from a Macintosh to a PC, a "MacBinary" header has to be added to the file format. MAC images can be transferred "back" from a PC to a Macintosh. Unless you have a specific PC application that requires no header, the MAC files should be saved with a header.

The MAC format requires always an image width of 576 pixels and a height of 720 lines. For that reason files converted to the MacPaint format from other formats will be cropped or padded out as necessary to fit in the 576X720 pixels size.

MAC file format supports only 1 bit per pixel, meaning that Only monochrome files can be converted to MacPaint files.

Characteristics:

MAC - without a header format supports 1 bit per pixel.

MAC- with a header format supports 1 bit per pixel.

--------------------------------

But then again why would they make the textures using a mac, whilst they used regular bmp's for the rest. :?: A well back to schoolwork for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Why oh why can we not have a standard 3d model format, a standard video format and a standard sound format.

Why do design teams make everything so complex.

:x

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

So people like us can't change their program! :D

Yo, Yo...this bitmap is WACK!

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

They exit solely to taunt us with their skills, and then to deny us their knowledge.

Grrr Argh!!! :evil:

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

And I thought the ZX-81 was complicated....(In fact I still do)

Hats off to UntimelyDemise. That State Department quote has to rank as one of the most brilliant statements of gibberish of have ever seen.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Yikes, "wack" is actually a format. 8O

Didn't know it was some odd texture generating plugin-for photoshop, I've never used it before.

I just assumed it was just a really, really strange format used by rebellion. I though it was just just described as being wack/wacky meaning odd. :lol:

Due to some good fortune of mine I have a nephew who probably has a copy (graphic design student) I think I can borrow it for a while. Because photoshop actually costs something like us$609.00.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I will show you a man who can't get his pants off!

Liking the quotes guys, see who can come up with the best...