Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Movie)

Darth_Rob

Well, I totally forgot there was going to be a theatrical movie release for The Clone Wars until I saw the commercial today, stating the August 15th release date. I figured we should get a thread for the movie started up, since it will be out in about three weeks.

Im looking forward to it, and I got the misses to agree to join me opening day. The only problem was that I have to see Mama Mia with her, but its a price Im willing to pay.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused now. I, too, saw the ad at the movies - but I thought it was meant to be a series and not a movie? I'm too lazy at the moment to go browsing, so I'll leave it to the community to "educate" me :wink:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

The movie is going to be sort of the "pilot" for the series that will air later on. So I guess we have to see the movie first to get what the TV series is going to be working with.

I for one am somewhat excited. This is one section of the Star Wars universe which I find interesting, yet little is known about it (basically the gaps between Episodes II and IV). Im excited to see the formation of the Rebellion, and the fate of the remaining Jedi. Should be pretty cool. 8)

My Website

It certainly looks pretty, at any rate. I don't know if the plot will be decent or not, but I hope it is. It looks like they tried to use the highly stylized art from the Clone Wars cartoon series. That was probably a good move; if it was made to look like real people would pride themselves in seeing that it was fake, or call it a knock-off of something else.

I'm a bit nervous about Anakin's little apprentice girl.

"You have that look that says 'we're in trouble.'"

"There's a look?"

"You can't miss it."

She just seems a tad... forced.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Where's my post from last night? Ha, must have been too tired to even post.

Any who, I'm not as enthusiastic as Rob. I think it'll be a neat flick, but that's about it - far from "cannon" material, or enjoyable as the original trilogy.

I'm sorta expecting a Will Smith movie here: take an existing story, add pretty looking people and camera work, a rich dollop of explosions, a ton of action, simmer for an appreciable time, eat and enjoy - but beware the hidden MSG plot line filled with cholesterol plot holes.

Rinse and repeat for a series?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm with Krytos on this.. I'm not jumping up an down in anticipation of this movie. I mean, of course i'd love to hear all the inbetween stories, as well as the before and after, such as the Thrawn Saga. I just don't appreciate the way its been put together in this movie... It looks too much like its been forced, for money making purposes. Being a die-hard fan, I feel lucasarts should stop thinking commercially, and think like a father. To me, this is the equivalent of a 13-year-old daughter going and getting herself knocked up. Of course I'm going to watch the film, but I'll be kicking and screaming the whole way =/.

I might go to see it on Sunday, but that's making two major assumptions.

1) I don't hear that it sucks. While unlikely, it's more likely than 2.

2) I grow some innitiative and actually bother to finish up Their Eyes Were Watching God faster than I have to, and write the subsequently necessary paper early, rather than screwing around on the Internet/writing other stuff/doing everything in my power to avoid doing my summer homework before it's absolutely necessary that it be done...

It's due Monday, BTW.

12/14/07

A friend of mine saw it and he too is a Star Wars fan. He gave it a D+. He even fell asleep through 20 minutes of it.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Im going to see the movie tomorrow. I hopes its not too bad, seeing how I've heard nothing but horrible things about it. But I'll voice my opinion after viewing.

In the meantime, heres a little silly about it.

My Website

Well, I saw it today. I was disappointed and unimpressed.

Without giving the movie plot away, it was filled with stupid humor. I really dont like how "stupid" they make battle droids, and this movie just went overboard trying to get a billion laughs out of retarded battle droids.

It doesnt really branch any part of the story between AotC and RotS, but I think thats because this movie is being used as a "pilot episode" to the tv series. Speaking of which, even though I was disappointed in the movie, I will still watch the series. Or at least see how long I can watch it for.

I think part of my keeps telling myself that, eventually, Lucas will see the error of his ways, and will tell a story that has some of the magic that the original trilogy had. But so far, I dont see that happening...but I still keep blissfully wishing...

My Website

Without giving the movie plot away, it was filled with stupid humor. I really dont like how "stupid" they make battle droids, and this movie just went overboard trying to get a billion laughs out of retarded battle droids.

It doesnt really branch any part of the story between AotC and RotS, but I think thats because this movie is being used as a "pilot episode" to the tv series. Speaking of which, even though I was disappointed in the movie, I will still watch the series. Or at least see how long I can watch it for.

I think part of my keeps telling myself that, eventually, Lucas will see the error of his ways, and will tell a story that has some of the magic that the original trilogy had. But so far, I dont see that happening...but I still keep blissfully wishing...

If all goes well, it'll be a rehash of The Clone Wars animated series. I never accepted that the show was good until a friend literally made me watch it. Then I finally believed him that it did help to give a scope to the Clone Wars... but I think it worked, more than anything else, because of the high stylization of the characters.

12/14/07

If all goes well, it'll be a rehash of The Clone Wars animated series. I never accepted that the show was good until a friend literally made me watch it. Then I finally believed him that it did help to give a scope to the Clone Wars... but I think it worked, more than anything else, because of the high stylization of the characters.

Ahhh...thats what I was thinking too. I enjoyed Cartoon Network's series on the Clone Wars. This, however, was not as good. I think one of my biggest problems is that every movie, they make the Battle Droids stupider and stupider. Its as if they are built with Artificial Unintelligence. Its a very, very annoying way to weakly attempt to get a cheap laugh.

My Website

I think one of my biggest problems is that every movie, they make the Battle Droids stupider and stupider. Its as if they are built with Artificial Unintelligence. Its a very, very annoying way to weakly attempt to get a cheap laugh.

I haven't seen the Clone movie, but I agree with you there. Ep 1, they were kinda stupid, and kinda funny. Ep 2 they were alright for the most part, but when they had their stupid moments it was even more so - particularly with 3P0's head replacement. Ep 3 made some great scenes painful - the opening battle, Vulture Droids making stupid sounds and bending and flexing like they were ... I don't even no what. The Buzz Droids acting like drunk bogan children trying to pick a fight and then the battle droids saying stupid crap, like the two who played around with R2.

The Battle of the Sink hole planet was littered with equally stupid parts, but not just the droids. Obi-Wan had some stupid lines and that lizard bird thing was plain dumb, as was the bike thing with legs that Grievous had.

I really wonder what Lucas is thinking sometimes ... that humour wasn't in the originals, there weren't overly stupid characters trying to get cheap laughs. Even the retarded Ewoks weren't as bad as what he's gone and done.

It sound as if the "cartoon" style of the Clone Wars has given him the idea that it's alright to make characters completely stupid. And what's more, even young kids seem to be torn between it being funny and stupid - as demonstrated to me a while back at a friends 21st where her brothers were watching E3, one laughed (you know the one where a kid sees something stupid and just sorta of does short, yelling laughter as if they think this should be funny, lets get everyones attention to show that I know this) and the other lay there with stare that was a mixture of bland and puzzlement.

A friend of mine stated that he will go see it because he likes that kind of silly humour. Thats why he enjoyed the Ewoks movie back in the days. :D:?

If thats the case, Im pretty sure he wont be disappointed...

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

the first ad got me excited after that they began to get on my nerves. I'll probably buy the DVD but only if the special features interest me.

I don't like the idea that Anakin was given an apprentice. I don't like the way Dooku looks. I thought there were only supposed to be 2 sith so the Ventress charachter doesn't sit right with me yet.

I haven't seen it in the theatres and nor do I plan too.

I'm waiting for it to be shown on TV. Cartoon Network is bound to show it. I'll keep an eye out for the new episodes, but I don't plan to watch them religiously unless they prove to be worth it. *Thinks* You know, I don't watch anything religiously anymore. Not because I'm free of the iron grip of TV so much as there's nothing good on to watch anymore.

12/14/07

I don't like the idea that Anakin was given an apprentice. I don't like the way Dooku looks. I thought there were only supposed to be 2 sith so the Ventress charachter doesn't sit right with me yet.

I don't like the Padawan idea either. By Revenge of the Sith is she already dead, or did she "graduate" to Jedi Knight and go off on her own? As for "additional Sith", the impression I've gotten from reading Wookiepedia is that Dooku had a number of Dark Side Force users working under him, but none of them were really "Sith" per se.

Here's the review that I posted on another forum:

[quote name="Noble713"I just watched it last night and I wasn't impressed. 6/10.

It's just too kiddy for me. It was like watching a really long episode of a Saturday morning cartoon' date=' and not even a good one like Exosquad. This series is meant to detail the most devastating conflict the galaxy has ever known...and it features a teenage Jedi as one of the main characters and a baby Hutt as the object of their quest. WTF?!

The battledroid "comic relief" has been taken to an all new low, Aasaj Ventress doesn't get enough screentime IMO, we find ourselves visiting Tatooine AGAIN, the importance of Jabba (and to a lesser extent, the Hutts as a whole) to Galactic affairs is WAY overblown, and in general there is no real feeling of danger, despite the fact that Clonetroopers get gunned down left and right. I suppose it could be considered mindless eyecandy, but the animation style used totally undermines that.[/quote]

I guess I will go and explain the most basic of plots to those interested. Highlight it if you want.

The story is basically this. Dooku and the Separatists kidnap Jabba the Hutt's son. Their intention is to have him killed, and then blame the Jedi. At the same time, the Jedi go out searching for Jabba's son, because if they can rescue him they will win Jabba's favor. The point is that Jabba controls a vast territory of space, and apparently the Republic is not powerful enough to force their way through, so they need his permission to travel though space. Dooku eventually convinces Jabba that the Jedi did kidnap and plan to execute his son, so he gets angry.

Anywho, Anakin eventually finds Jabbas son and rescues, and then him and his apprentice run around with the "Huttling" and fight against Ventress and Dooku. Oh yeah, and Padme is thrown in there as she contacts Jabba's uncle in an attempt to get him to talk to Jabba on the Jedi's behalf. She gets kidnapped eventually, but escapes.

So yeah, thats the most basic plot of the movie. Its all about saving Jabba's son so that the Jedi can get his permission to travel through the portion of space he controls. Pretty retarded.

My Website

As for "additional Sith", the impression I've gotten from reading Wookiepedia is that Dooku had a number of Dark Side Force users working under him, but none of them were really "Sith" per se.

That's right. Ventress, Sora Bulk, and two second hand whom i forgot the name.

Did someone noticed the soundtrack this movie have? As bad as the script.

• 1 month later...

So meanwhile I had the chance to see the movie and some parts of the tv show and I have to admit I like it very much. Seriously, I never believed that this would be the case, but these cartoons are propably the best what happened to Star Wars since a long time ago...

Director Dave Filoni did a pretty decent job and brought lots of fresh air to this saga but also managed to include all the old elements. It was just about time that GL is giving this project out of his hands and I wished that would have been already the case with the Prequels.

With those rather lame Prequels and the silly 80s cartoon series like "Droids" and "The Ewoks" in mind, I watched these new cartoons and was surprised. And it wasnt even half that silly as I expected. I mean, it has to be silly to some extent, because its still a cartoon, so no problem about some stupid battledroids.

I like those new characters, troops and villains which have been added to the saga and Im looking out for more.

Yeah, Im even that excited about that series that I plan to make a whole new set of cards for it so people would be able to play all those characters of this tv show. :)

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Yeah, well, and I didnt expect anything good and was surprised. ;)

BTW I was talking about the Ewoks-Cartoon tv show and not those two movies. The cartoons were quite silly and thus propably just enjoyable for children.

Who cares at all?! :roll: